Pistol Storage

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Pistol Storage

Post by carguy »

Is it safe (for the finish) to store a pistol in the plastic foam lined case many come in when new?

I picked up a couple to "put away" a few handguns in my safe and prevent them from being knocked around but I fear the finish being damaged. I noticed a film on my little Beretta 950, it appeared to be gun oil, so maybe I was over aggressive during my last cleaning. I was hoping to organize a little by stacking a few of these cases but I don't want to chance any damage to the finish.

What do you think??? Save them for transportation to the range only or is storage okay?
saands

Pistol Storage

Post by saands »

Plastics that are used to make the foams are notorious for harboring moisture ... I would NOT store a firearm with the finish against the foam. If you recall, many of those that arrive in a plastic or foam lined box are wrapped in a rust preventative paper. I have had good luck using the silicone impregnated fleece pouches in a safe with a GoldenRod dehumidifier. In reality, I have also had good luck with those fleece pouches without the dehumidifier. Now that I think of it, the only rust I have ever seen has been on a pistol that I stored in its original cardboard box instead of a pouch ... WHAT was I thinking? Anyway, I highly recommend the fleece pouches http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=292897 $4 (or less if you qualify for the dealer discount ...)

Saands
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Pistol Storage

Post by carguy »

Thanks

That's what I was afraid of...okay now to go sell them on ebay.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Pistol Storage

Post by himmel »

so that explains why my son's shotgun rusted in the case! (not to worry, was just a little rust, and the shotgun was definitely utility grade... ;) ) Cleaned up just fine
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Pistol Storage

Post by blinddog »

I did not know that! I will take my fdirearms out of the cases I have them in and store them in something else. Thanks for the heads up saands!:)
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Pistol Storage

Post by garry »

Hello Carguy ! I learned that the foam in those cases will draw moisture from anywhere it can and one day after shooting in the rain i left all my guns in those cases and the NEXY DAY they were all covered in light rust !!! OVERNIGHT !!! It is wise to let them set open in the sun and dry out well. As for storing them for long periods--- Not a good idea unless you use desicant bags in them. I save those little bags from kids toys and electronics and throw as many as i can get into the gun cases and cabinet just for a little extra assurance.

It was pretty shocking to open those cases and see all that rust ! Needless to say i spent weeks cleaning and re-blueing them all.
Lesson learned- Cloth is good - foam is questionable. Hope it helps ! See ya, G
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Pistol Storage

Post by papabear »

On all of my handguns and rifles, I applied a thin coat of EEZOX.

www.eezox.com

After it has dried, 24 to 48 hours, I store my handguns in clean white cotton socks. Rifles, I again put a thin coat of eezox on them and let it dry 24 to 48 hours and store them in my gun room. I have never had a problem with rust, this is the best stuff I have ever used for cleaning and storing, great stuff.

When I travel I use gun socks, never the zip up bags, they don't breath, if I have to use a zipper bag I leave about 2-3 inches of the zipper open so air can get in and the moisture can get out, hard cases with the foam padding is the worst, I don't ever use them. I also use the Crown Royal Purple Pouches sometimes for smaller handguns.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Pistol Storage

Post by carguy »

CR Purple Bags...a man of my heart!!

I also like those triangular bottles from scotland, well I like the stuff inside, the bottles are useles for anything else.

8~)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Pistol Storage

Post by papabear »

carguy,

Don't you just hate those plain Jane round bottles, no class at all...... ::). Here is an example of the smallest CR pouch [road trip size] that the P-64 fits in perfectly.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Pistol Storage

Post by anjdrifter »

I cant figure out where all my CR bags are coming from ::)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Pistol Storage

Post by papabear »

I'm sure they are not yours.......... ::) or maybe they are and that's the reason when you go to the range the range master has to call the FAA for no fly overs that day........ ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
redfestiva

Pistol Storage

Post by redfestiva »

I don't get it, mine don't seem to fit :-/

papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Pistol Storage

Post by papabear »

OOOOOPS,

Wrong smallest size, I didn't realize they made one smaller, I guess I take longer road trips than you do......... ::)
POINT SHOOTER
redfestiva

Pistol Storage

Post by redfestiva »

:) When I saw Papabears post I had to dig out that little CR bottle. I think it is an airline size. My wife has had it for years. She likes novelty items like that and she has always warned me to not open and drink it.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Pistol Storage

Post by garry »

CR? that is the common thread here? HAHAHAHA man i have a stack of those bags ! My bandmates and I used to drink that exclusively. We decided to make a motorhome cover out of 'em all. I keep my shooting glasses and empty cases in them now. CHEERS GUYS !!!!! G