.380 barrel for PA-63????

Use this section for all other firearms
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

I saw an auction on ebay for PA-63 ".380" barrels. So can you put a barrel chambered in .380 in a PA-63 and shoot .380 through it? Will they load, fit and feed from the mag properly???
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

I saw an auction on ebay for PA-63 ".380" barrels. So can you put a barrel chambered in .380 in a PA-63 and shoot .380 through it? Will they load, fit and feed from the mag properly???
NORMSUTTON may have information or opinion on this. He is the FEG expert on the forum and may be able to advise on modifications that may be needed. I would see no problem with the magazines. They are really closer to being .380 mags and are compatible with .380 and the shorter 9x18 rounds.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

PA-63 is a 380 with a 9 X 18 barrel on it
most of the small guns FEG produced were 380's and still are http://fegarmy.hu/?lang=en&p=ap9

yes it can be changed but why would you want to

380 ammo is more expensive than 9 x 18
at most gun stores they only have maybe 4 boxes of ammo and they have been there since the first James Bond movies
the 380 doesn't have the punch of the 9 x 18
the recoil is about the same and in certain hand guns it's more felt

as you can see I don't like the 380

but you do what you want it's not my gun

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

volfandan

Welcome to the club! You have just been initiated! Sorry, I could not resist.

NORMSUTTON

There is a gentleman on gunboards.com that wants to trade a 9x18 Makarov for a .380 Makarov! Please talk to him!
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

It's not that I would want to do away with the beloved 9x18....but the .380 barrel is threaded.....and I've been pondering paying the steep $200 stamp and getting a can. The .380 is made in a 90 grain that has a muzzle velocity of 910fps. Seems like the .380 would put less pressure on the frame as well. I have heard that anything over 95 gr in the 9x18 can have DEVASTATING effects on the frame of the PA-63. Now that I learn that this was originally designed to be a .380, it makes me wonder if shooting 9x18 in any grain is even safe!? No wonder frames are cracking......it's like those old state troopers from here in Tennessee that claim they could squeeze .357's in there S&W .38's. Absolutely ludicrous!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

volfandan

Welcome to the club! You have just been initiated! Sorry, I could not resist.
+ 1 with beasleydano,

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya here, we be a friendly bunch that likes to kid and mess around, but we here to help and suggest too, keep hanging around and I think you'll like us.

papa bear
POINT SHOOTER
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

volfandan

The big bullets don't work well in the PA-63 because of its 380 mag they tend to jam I myself have never seen a PA-63 with a cracked frame never seen a picture of a cracked frame I've heard of one blowing up because of a squib load but that's not the guns fault

The PA-63 was the official Hungarian Army sidearm from 1963 until 1996, chambered for the 9 x 18 mm Makarov cartridge. It was manufactured with a bright-finish Titanium-Aluminum alloy frame (later with blued frame), and a steel slide.

http://www.sunblest.net/gun/FegPA63.htm

never knew you were going for a threaded barrel

might interesting please show us some pix when finish

all the guns coming out of FEG now have steel frames if you don't like the idea of a alloy frame you could always get a FEG AP9, APK9 the barrel should fit with no problems

by the way BIG WELCOME sorry I forgot

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Hey Norm,
What do you think about .40 S&W ? Don't have one in mind, just curious--everyone seems to be offering 9mm and .40 S&W right now, and I already have an opinion on 9mm...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

RB

I like the 40 cal. that's what's in my bed stand

the 40 cal is supposed to give you the knock down power of a 45 acp and the penetration of a 9 mm

I have both in a FEG Browny HP clone

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 18th, 2007, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with Norm on the .40 cal,

"the 40 cal is supposed to give you the knock down power of a 45 acp and the penetration of a 9 mm"

I've really have been turned on with the CZ 75 P-01 in 9mm I recently got and now I'm looking at a CZ 40B in .40 cal, its a 1911 style in SA/DA, 10 rd mags and if it shoots like the P-01 I'll probably have to have it too.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

thanks for the info and warm welcome everyone. I'll be honest with you....I didn't really even want a P64 until I stumbled onto Dennis' grip website. Just from seeing the amazing grips that guy does makes me start justifying why I need to buy another gun (lol). You know, so many mak snobs on other message boards REALLY dog these little guns, but most people have just "heard" they aren't as reliable as a mak...or their "buddy" had one, and it's a piece of junk. Not many people dogging them have ever even shot one, and the few mak nuts that have seem to admit that although they like the mak better....the 64 is also a darn good little gun. #@*! Dennis and his gorgeous grips are going to make me break down and get one!
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

Volfandan -- welcome to this great P64 forum & its members who
are very knowledgable & helpful.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Welcome aboard volfandan, good to have another member. :)
People who have never owned a P64 just don't know what they are missing. Easily concealed, as powerful as a 38sp., amazingly accurate, inexpensive to shoot; and 100% dependable. Also, you can do very inexpensive improvements that tame down the recoil and improve the trigger pull to your personal preferences. Only draw back is the six shot magazine and you just know that some one will correct that issue very soon. Once again welcome.
G.R.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Actually, 7 rounds tucked into my waistband under a summer shirt is pretty darn good! Before the P64, in cases like that I was limited to my .38 two-shooter in my pocket...