Got Myself a New Project

Use this section for all other firearms
Duo_Z

Re: Got Myself a New Project

Post by Duo_Z »

Look what I've finally pieced together. With patience I managed to piece together the whole thing fairly affordably. I still plan on building a complete custom one. It will take time, but its been a fun project so far.
Vis35 Complete.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Wow looks great.

Give us a range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Yez very nicely done!!
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

So the initial 1 shot range report. (I have no magazine and only one 9mm laying around.) It worked perfect so far. I'm a little surprised, mostly because the firing pin that came with an extra slide I bought was screwed up and bent. So the new one I made was a little bit by a guess. But it fired and ejected perfect. It seemed to be a smooth fluid motion. Are all the VIS's like that? This is my first 9mm Luger, so maybe its the locking action and round. But everything else I shoot in semi-auto are a little snappy.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have 2 and they are smooth shooting also.

Probably due to the double spring recoil system.

You should be able to pick up an after market mag for it but not sure how good they are.

http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/412/prd/1037/

Originals are running around $150
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

I didn't get to test with a mag yet, but I have one of the aftermarket mags coming. I did put about 20 rounds through it one at a time and other than one stove pipe it functioned perfectly. When it gets a little warmer I can sit down and really see how accurate it is, but after this test I don't think it should have any problem hitting its targets.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

So I will test the aftermarket mag this weekend. It needed a little filing on the catch hole to get it to stay latched, but it wasn't a big deal. Quality seems OK. Other then that I quickly made a grip panel for it. I think I made the pattern resolution a little fine because some of the pattern came off, but it was a first time anyway.
IMG_20150306_243641886~2.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Grips look good bro.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yes those grips are really nice! So is the rest of the job you have done. What kind of wood are they from?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Duo_Z

Post by Duo_Z »

So it shot fairly well. I had one fail to extract and the mag didn't seem to have the pressure to engage the slide hold. Other then that it worked without a problem and its more accurate than I was shooting I think.
IMG_20150308_014306.jpg
I was shooting at the left side of the black mark at 15 yards. I need to adjust the sights but it grouped well.

Ketchman - Thanks for the compliment. I have no idea what kind of wood it is. I used be work as an industrial machinist. I made really big stuff for lift bridges, dams, and other large projects.The owners of the shop also had a saw mill, and they would cut timbers for putting our parts on. Every once in a while I would spot a piece that had some potential. This grip came from a weatherd grey cracked up piece of wood. I knew the area near the crack was going to have a nice looking grain so I asked the boss for it and brought it home. It sat around for 3 or 4 years before I finally found the grip hiding in it. Most people are going for a form of walnut.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

It is funny how you find a great piece of wood hiding in a junk piece isn't it. And I know most people want Walnut but I prefer the odd / different kinds. I am waiting right now on a pair of grips to be made for a Star M45 Firestar right now from Bocote wood. Had never heard of it before but I saw the blank and that was it. Plus the color of yours is soo nice. Great job. And seems to shoot rather well. A pat on the back and tip o' the hat to you sir for a job well done. :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.