Dry firing a P64

Info, pictures, advice...
rmeron

Dry firing a P64

Post by rmeron »

I put the 18 lb hammer spring in my P64 which was a great help,but the pull is still gritty.Will dry firing hurt the pistol any,and will it help smooth out the trigger?
donnerwetter58

Dry firing a P64

Post by donnerwetter58 »

It's been a while since the topic of dry firing has been brought up.
There have been reports of broken safeties attributed to dry firing and the recommendation has been to use snap caps to prevent safety damage. Spare parts are available now if you do break a part.
I looked into the mechanics of the P-64. In both of my P-64's, the hammer will be at rest on the safety before the firing pin protrudes beyond the breech face of the slide. I can find no reason snap caps would take any load off of the safety. The best they can do is limit firing pin travel.
I have an 18 lb. hammer spring in one and a 19 lb spring in the other. The trigger pull on both has improved with use. Make sure it is well cleaned and lubed.
Hope this helps.

Dave
fritzhund

Dry firing a P64

Post by fritzhund »

I personally don't recommend dry firing any gun. I'm sure that the firing pin will suffer for it.

I also wish I had a range in the back yard >:(
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dry firing a P64

Post by dfunk »

The best they can do is limit firing pin travel.
Which is basically all they are intended to do. Let's not forget the laws of inertia. :-[
jbailey

Dry firing a P64

Post by jbailey »

You might consider what I did - put a cigarette filter back of the safety to cushion the hammer fall and dry fire until your finger wears out. Crude, but effective?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Dry firing a P64

Post by himmel »

I will note that I lost a firing pin due to dry-firing... :(
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Dry firing a P64

Post by normsutton »

guys

its always better to use a snap cap and not need it , than not to use one and have something brake because you didn't use it, on any gun, there was a time when we didn't have any parts for these guns and there will be again. then your lift with a paper weight

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dirtyharry

Dry firing a P64

Post by dirtyharry »

You might consider what I did - put a cigarette filter back of the safety to cushion the hammer fall and dry fire until your finger wears out. Crude, but effective?
Limiting the hammer is the best way. Rather than use a cig butt, if you like, I cut a foam ear plug into thirds and tuck it into the hammer well. This has worked perfectly with my Sig and with the P-64, although with the 64 you might think about using half of a plug as the hammer fall has some real getup to it.

dirtyharry
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Dry firing a P64

Post by himmel »

Thanks for the tip, DH!