Centerfire Trainer

Info, pictures, advice...
GuitarmanNick

Centerfire Trainer

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I received one today. It is in good condition, came with a magazine that looks identical to my others and the internal parts are in very good condition.
It appears they had a mistake in the pricing posted on their website when I ordered it for $59.99. It came to $80.31 delivered and the price is back up to $139.99 today.
I am very pleased with this purchase and Centerfire Systems had it to me 3 days after placing the order.
I now have every spare part for my P-64s, with the exception of the firing pin, slide, and barrel. Can't imagine they will ever be needed, but I may try to pick up a spare firing pin at some point in the future.
A few pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5y6d4pusnss8 ... xI0ya?dl=0
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Centerfire Trainer

Post by Weasel640 »

Glad to hear you got a deal. It may not have been a mistake. Every once in a while they do have really good deals with short time frames....

The trainers for the most part as you noted do have functional parts with some removed or altered. So it would be a good idea to strip it and check the condition of the parts you may want later.

Also the Firing Pin is one that does need replacing every once in a while. About a decade ago Wolf Ammo had been damaging the firing pins, it has since been fixed. But I stay away from Wolf in general, especially older boxes. Also dry firing (practice firing with nothing chambered) increases the risk of breaking the Firing Pin as well.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I did take it down enough to check the internals. I thought everything was usable until I tried to disassemble the slide.

All of the parts are in very good condition except for the "alleged" modified firing pin. It does not seem to have been modified and I am unable to remove the safety. It looks like this one was selected because of a bulged barrel and they just welded the firing pin hole closed in the slide and cut the chamber opening. The frame parts are all usable.

Gonna have to see if some work with the Dremel or a drill will open the firing pin hole since the firing pin is now locking the safety in place. I could end up with a spare firing pin, if successful.

I could cut the slide and easily remove the parts but if I have to do that, I will just wait until a critical part is needed from it, which may never happen.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Last night I took the Dremel to the breach face and freed the firing pin. It has been shortened a little so not good for a spare.

All things considered, I am very happy with this purchase. Cleaned and reassembled the trainer and it looks pretty good. It is a nice feeling knowing I now have spare parts for some of my favorite toys. Until needed, it is a neat little piece for display.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Cool, always good to have a few extra known problem parts on hand.