polish p 64 help

Info, pictures, advice...
PKineKilla

polish p 64 help

Post by PKineKilla »

Hey Folks i just got a polish p64 in a private sale. Every thing seems to function great except the fact that when i manually rack the slide to check for ejection issues, the 3 or 4 round always double feeds, with the first round left in the chamber.
I checked the mags and every thing seems good and when i manually unload the mags by hand they fly out as if they are under enough tension.
Could this problem be because it is a blow back design and I'm not pulling the slide back with enough force to fully eject the round.
I have not shot it yet due to work and family scheduling but will later today (i hope). I was just wondering if this could be the problem.
Thanks in advance.
GuitarmanNick

Re: polish p 64 help

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Welcome to the board.

Okay, I will first say that I am not quite sure what is happening with your P-64 because you only speak of rounds 1, 3 and 4. I am assuming that you are using the correct 9 x 18mm Makarov ammunition. Using 9 x 19mm Luger I am not sure the round would even chamber because of length, but if it does,... it will likely become stuck and the extractor may not have what it takes to extract it. You may also find that the bullet has been set back in the case when finally removed. Since the Luger is a slightly smaller diameter case, it may chamber in a P-64 but please, do not fire it!

A 9 x 18mm Makarov round not removed from the chamber would indicate an extractor problem. The round should extract from the chamber any time the slide is pulled back, regardless of speed. If it is extracting the round from the chamber but not ejecting from the port, that may be related to speed when racking the slide. I generally do not have issues with that on my P-64s. Make sure it is properly cleaned and lubed. Dirt could be keeping the extractor from operating as it should.

The recoil spring has a small end which needs to be installed over the barrel with the tight end towards the rear. If it is reversed, slide travel will be affected. Check that first. Check the extractor for damage and make sure that it can move as intended to grab the case.

Lastly, check the ammunition. I had some extraction issues on another model handgun that were caused by a very tight lip on some steel cased ammo which the extractor could not grab properly. As long as I use brass ammo, it runs flawlessly.

I hope something here is helpful to you. Enjoy your new toy. Be careful though, they are addictive!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum PK.

A live fire test will tell determine if it extracts properly.

I have a war time Hungarian M37 Femaru that will not eject snap caps put functions perfectly in live fire.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
PKineKilla

Post by PKineKilla »

Thanks guys
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Let us know how you make out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Davidrol

Post by Davidrol »

PKineKilla wrote:Hey Folks i just got a polish p64 in a private sale. Every thing seems to function great except the fact that when i manually rack the slide to check for ejection issues, the 3 or 4 round always double feeds, with the first round left in the chamber.
I checked the mags and every thing seems good and when i manually unload the mags by hand they fly out as if they are under enough tension.
Could this problem be because it is a blow back design and I'm not pulling the slide back with enough force to fully eject the round.
I have not shot it yet due to work and family scheduling but will later today (i hope). I was just wondering if this could be the problem.
Thanks in advance.
I have the same. When ejecting by racking the slide by hand, speed is critical. When I fire a full mag or half full mag, it ejects and loads flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk