Slide Stuck

Info, pictures, advice...
tdarron

Slide Stuck

Post by tdarron »

So I got my P-64 today, and as is customary for me anytime I get a new firearm I have to do a takedown/reassembly.

Unfortunately upon reassembly I seem to have jammed the slide, originally it was jammed completely open, but now it is jammed about 1/4" out of battery. Given the state of the handgun I cannot check most of the internals (like the slide stop for example) and I am completely out of ideas for how to free the slide.

I will say putting the slide back on was troublesome as the slide kept jumping off the rails, which leads me to believe the slide stop is involved. Oh, and yes the mag was out the whole time. Any ideas?
OG17

Re: Slide Stuck

Post by OG17 »

Image to the forum.

Check this thread out. It may answer your question.
http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewto ... 301#p57301
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

I actually had looked at that thread before, the trouble is that it is 100% seized and pulling on it won't loosen anything. Was wondering if sticking a dowel down the barrel to butt up against the bolt and then hammer against that would damage the firing mechanism or not, or if that had worked for anyone.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

As long as your not using a jack hammer.on the other end of the dowel I don't think it would be a problem. Extra lube on the slide rail areas first I would think might help. Amy idea why the slide was stuck open when you got it?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

It wasn't, it was functioning fine. Did a field strip and when I went to put the slide back on I think I wasn't mindful in any play of the slide stop as everything I had seen previously didn't seem to have that problem. In retrospect I should have looked as similar issues can happen with my Tokarev with the removable hammer group. I believe this to be the case because I was having trouble getting it on the rails and in frustration I kind of went 200lb gorilla on it.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I misunderstood your original post in that when you first got it stuck vs it was stuck originally, ooooooopps. :roll:
You should be fine with the dowel trick. I bet your slide hold open lever may be in the way. Happens a lot. And yeah, the old 200 lb gorilla trick. I have done that except I went to the full 500lb level and,...well,...... I would rather not try to explain that. :oops:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And by the way, welcome to the Brotherhood. And not everyone here is as easily distracted as I .........Oh Look, Squirrel!!!!!!!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, let us know how you make out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

Well, I was gonna go by the range today anyway so I figured I'd have a gunsmith take a look at it as I couldn't get it freed. He got it done in about five minutes, either I missed some trick or I was being way too gentle with it. In any case, works perfectly now and I couldn't be happier.

But go figure the two other mags that came with it (three total, one is serial'd for the gun) both had FTF malfunctions. Those were fun to dig out, so now I have a new project of getting those two operational which seems a much easier task.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Glad to hear your up and firing. As far as the FTF's, check the feed lips on the mags make sure they are the right angle and not damaged. With the fact that these things eat all the ammo that can be thrown at them as a rule with no issues the mag feed lips is where I would start. Was it consistant with each mag? Was it on the last round , first round.....?
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

Every round of the mag. My best guess is that since they look newer they're post 72 mags and as my p64 was made in 67, that could be an issue if I've read correctly, in which case the seller kinda screwed me on that. I want to say it was as if the feed lips were like 2mm too long almost.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

That unfortunately sounds right. Check Gunbroker for some new ones. I do not know if the newer model ones can be modded to work with the older models. Compare the 2 non serial numbered mags to the one serialed to the gun and see if the lips are taller.
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

If that's the case couldn't I just file them to be correct (and then deburr them obviously, no one like slashed thumbs)
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

How much metal would have to be removed and how would that removal change to shape of the feed lips?
tdarron

Post by tdarron »

Will have to do measurements tomorrow after work, but it looks to be about a mm or two. From what I'm finding on the forums that seems pretty consistent with my guessing.