Slide very difficult to reinstall

Info, pictures, advice...
rvenneman

Slide very difficult to reinstall

Post by rvenneman »

I am having a real problem reinstalling my slide. I have the trigger cocked, the spring installed correctly, and no magazine installed. I followed instructions on YouTube, and it seems once the slide is back it just falls into place.
I have to try 6 or 7 times before it drops into place.
Has anyone else have an issue with this? :?:
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Slide very difficult to reinstall

Post by Weasel640 »

Are you using the Original Recoil Spring or A Wolff Spring?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I would suggest you take another look at the recoil spring. If you put it on backwards, the slide will be very difficult to install.
The smaller end goes to the rear of the weapon.
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

Weasel640 wrote:Are you using the Original Recoil Spring or A Wolff Spring?
I have Wolf springs but I am using the original.
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

GuitarmanNick wrote:I would suggest you take another look at the recoil spring. If you put it on backwards, the slide will be very difficult to install.
The smaller end goes to the rear of the weapon.
I got the spring installed correctly. I guess I need to get feel if it.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

rvenneman wrote:
OK so the Original should be fine. One thing to note (I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the video you watched), the Trigger Guard will mar up the Frame. The Trigger Guard will also pop back into the Frame while you are trying to put the Slide on. Simplest thing to do is to take the plastic top of a Soda Pop bottle and put it between the Frame and Trigger Guard with the opening facing away from the Frame.

Putting the Slide on is tricky and with practice gets easier.

Also The Wolff Springs are known to have a fitting problem. Do not force a Slide on Wolff Springs, it will be very difficult to get off. Most Wolff Springs need the ends ground flat to match the ends of the Original Springs. There are several tutorials on it if you search here.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

Weasel640 wrote:
rvenneman wrote:
OK so the Original should be fine. One thing to note (I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the video you watched), the Trigger Guard will mar up the Frame. The Trigger Guard will also pop back into the Frame while you are trying to put the Slide on. Simplest thing to do is to take the plastic top of a Soda Pop bottle and put it between the Frame and Trigger Guard with the opening facing away from the Frame.

Also The Wolff Springs are known to have a fitting problem. Do not force a Slide on Wolff Springs, it will be very difficult to get off. Most Wolff Springs need the ends ground flat to match the ends of the Original Springs. There are several tutorials on it if you search here.
Thanks1
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

Weasel640 wrote:
rvenneman wrote:

Thanks1
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

Thanks for all the help. I figured out the problem. I wasn't pushing down hard enough when the slide was in the rear position.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

rvenneman wrote:Thanks for all the help. I figured out the problem. I wasn't pushing down hard enough when the slide was in the rear position.
I've had the same problem at times and it can really be aggravating!!! :evil: I've also noticed a time or two that the bar that is lifted to lock the slide back after the magazine goes empty will sometimes stick outward just a little and, IMO, THAT is sorta holding the slide away so it won't engage and slide back on. Something to think about - you just push it a bit further inboard and it's worked for me.

And DEFINITELY grinding the ends of the Wolffe replacement springs like Weasel states!!! If they aren't flat, it is virtually impossible to get the slide on!!! The originals are flat and I can't figure why Wollfe doesn't do it. I think I remember someone posting that they informed Wolffe about it and a bunch more people did, too. I thought he said they agreed to do the grinding before shipping but unless someone has some newly purchased springs and they're flat on the ends, it might still be a problem. I ground ALL of mine with a grinding wheel on a drill or Dremel. It is VERY important....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I cut 1/8 inch from the end of the coil with nippers and it works perfectly.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 on the slide lock bar on the left, I hold the pistol so the bar facing up and is held in place by gravity to keep it seated.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary