Here She Is - UPDATE

Info, pictures, advice...
OG17

Here She Is - UPDATE

Post by OG17 »

Got it today. The DA didn't feel as bad as I expected to, but I still have the Wolff 18# ready to get installed once the extended mag release gets here. The 22# recoil spring is already on. I also ordered the Polishiron grips for it at the same time.

Image Image
Last edited by OG17 on February 12th, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Here She Is

Post by Ketchman »

Nice nice nice OG17. Now a trip to the range. Give us a range report please. Especially if you fire it before and after the Polish Iron grips.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice one.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Thanks fellas. Was hoping to get the grips and extended mag release to day, as the USPS tracking system said, but now I have to wait until tomorrow or Saturday. Taking it to the range as soon as the parts come in along with the PA-63 and P83 for a side-by-side comparison. Also going to shoot with and without the grips to see how it feels.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I for one eagerly await your impressions of shooting all 3 as well as pics with mag release and grips.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I'll live stream it for you ketch. :mrgreen:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

COOL. 8)
OG17

Post by OG17 »

New Polishiron grips and extended magazine release installed as well as the Wolff 18# hammer and 22# recoil springs.

Image Image
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

looking good man. When to the range?
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Hopefully tomorrow. Taking all my Maks (P64, P83, PA-63, Bulgy) to see how they stack up against each other. Ought to be fun.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

wish I could help with the testing. I have sent you a PM.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ketch, I didn't receive the PM. I sent you one.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Took the P64 and my other Maks to the range for some testing. Could only do 25 rounds each because I took the Wolf steel case with me and the range doesn't allow steel case. Had to buy 100 rounds of S&B from them.

Test distance: 7 yds

Method: Lined all 4 with the mags loaded but not inserted. Snapped the mag in on the 1st one, racked it, decocked it, 1st round was DA then SA for the next 4 rounds.

The best results were from the Bulgarian Makarov, the P83, and remarkably the PA-63. They were very smooth in both DA/SA, the SA had a slight wall before the break, recoil was excellent, and my shot placement was also very good. The PA-63 failed to lock on the last round, but that may be due to an aftermarket magazine. All the others worked flawlessly.

The P64 gets mixed results but it may be attributed to the 18# Wolff hammer spring. In DA I could put my shot pretty much on target but all hell broke loose on SA mode. It was a hair trigger and I would calculate it being no more than 2#s. ImageMy shot placement was all over the place since the SA trigger was way too light. Have to try it with the stock hammer spring and see what happens. I also have the 22# recoil spring installed and it seemed to work well, along with the Poilishiron grips, to tame the recoil. Didn't have the time, or ammo, to try it with the stock grips plus,the range was full and I was short on ammo and time.

As I'm cleaning it now, I dry fired the gun on SA and I don't feel any resistance/wall before the break. Two things come to mind. 1) The 18# hammer spring is not the right thing to do or, 2) there's something internally wrong with the SA part of the hammer, sear, trigger bar interface.

Any comments are appreciated.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Here She Is - UPDATE

Post by Ketchman »

There is nothing wrong with the SA. It is extremely light with the 17-18# hammer springs. That being said it is quite light with stock springs, ESPECIALLY considering it was designed for military / police use. Perhaps the 20# hammer spring will be more to your liking. Someone else somewhere here I seem to remember measuring their sa pull after installing an 18# hammer spring and it was about 4lbs if I remember right. May have been member robhic. I myself like it but others of course do not and may not as personal preferences play such a huge part of what is and is not liked about a sidearm. Try it with the heavier hammer springs and see what you think. Just use either an empty case or snap cap for all dry firing as the firing pin is prone to break with excessive dry firing. :cry:
OG17

Re: Here She Is - UPDATE

Post by OG17 »

Will do Ketch. Tried to install the 20# spring but I don't have the strength to push the strut through the spring so I'll have to take it to my gunsmith sometime this week. :(