Just got a 1968 P64 yesterday

Info, pictures, advice...
darthnul

Just got a 1968 P64 yesterday

Post by darthnul »

Found a P64 on gunbroker that looked to be in good shape. I picked it up yesterday and it looks even better in real life. Upon close inspection it looks absolutely new. There is no trace of rust anywhere, no oxidation of any bluing, the bore looks absolutely bright and shiny and the outside of the barrel shows no trace of scratching or rubbing from slide cycling.

The single action trigger is quite nice but the DA trigger is by far the worst I've ever pulled. I though the DA trigger on my Sig P6 and FEG PA-63 were bad but they aren't even close to the P64. I'll be ordering some springs from Wolff and making sure there's no cosmoline in the works. Maybe a little polishing and I'll definitely be applying some modern lubricants.

I'll be looking to upgrade the grips. Not sure if I'll go with Marschal or maybe PolishIrons.

I keep reading about heavy recoil from these things. I kind of doubt they could be any worse than my (much) lighter aluminum framed FEG. I'm looking forward to mining this site for good info.
Drec

Re: Just got a 1968 P64 yesterday

Post by Drec »

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about the Marschal grips, but I have Polishiron grips; which I like.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Image to the forum. Mine got to my FFL today and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I already have the Wolff 18# hammer and 22# recoil springs on hand. I'm getting the Polishiroin grips for it. Enjoy it good health.
Drec

Post by Drec »

You might also pick up the extended magazine release as well. I found it difficult to release the mag after putting on the grips.
darthnul

Post by darthnul »

Extended mag release? where do I get one? Two of my four 9x18 guns (aka commie-guns), the FEG and the CZ82 have "modern' mag release buttons. I am not (yet) at all used to the "European" type on Bulgy Mak and the P64. I find them awkward and slow to change with the original grips. Any improvement would be a plus.
Drec

Post by Drec »

There are a couple of extended magazine releases made by several members on this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4350&hilit=Extended+release

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6047&p=55371&hilit= ... ron#p55371
darthnul

Post by darthnul »

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about the Marschal grips, but I have Polishiron grips; which I like.
A link to some of the grip styles available from Marschal: http://www.marschalgrips.com/hires-p64/P64.HTM#p64short Warning - they make them to order and take three months or so for delivery.

I've got some zebra wood grips on order for my Bulgy Mak. Was thinking about some red lacquered wattle wood finger groove ones for the P64 but the Polish Iron ones look nice. A Polish Eagle on 'em would make them look even better :D
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

+++1 on the Polish Iron grips. I was on the pre production testing team and they are AWESOME!! They help with recoil on this little fire breathing beastie that we all love and they feel great too. And the best thing is they are much less expensive than Mr. Marschall's wonderful wooden wonders. Which by the way are beautiful.
And yes, this does recoil at least as bad and I think a little worse than the FEG-PA63 because the grip is narrower. The Polish Iron grips help with that.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

darthnul wrote:
A link to some of the grip styles available from Marschal: http://www.marschalgrips.com/hires-p64/P64.HTM#p64short Warning - they make them to order and take three months or so for delivery.

I've got some zebra wood grips on order for my Bulgy Mak. Was thinking about some red lacquered wattle wood finger groove ones for the P64 but the Polish Iron ones look nice. A Polish Eagle on 'em would make them look even better :D
I think you'll find that the Polish Iron grips will tame your P64's "snappiness" much more effectively than Marschal. They're made more for effectiveness and comfort than "snazzy looks." You do realize that your P64 is a different pistol than your Maks, yes?
Drec

Post by Drec »

BeoBill wrote: I think you'll find that the Polish Iron grips will tame your P64's "snappiness" .........................
That is what I noticed too!