Thinking About a P64

Info, pictures, advice...
OG17

Thinking About a P64

Post by OG17 »

Ok guys, every time I'm about to pull the trigger on a P64, I pull back and ponder some more. I'm kind of divided between the P64 and the CZ52. I already have a Bulgy, two P-83s, aand a PA-63 in the 9x18 platform. The CZ 52 is a 7.62v25 Tokarev platform which means new ammo. Also, in my info search on the CZ52 I learned that the Tokarev round has the capacity to penetrate certain armor vests. Florida law prohibits armor piercing ammo. Although the Tokarev round may not be considered an actual armor piercing round, the fact that it can causes me to wonder if there a legal ramifications if I ever need to use it. I plan to carry either one of them as an EDC or BUG.

What' are the pros/cons of each.

Can you help an confused mind. :-?

Thanks
OG17

Re: Thinking About a P64

Post by OG17 »

Ok. I manned up and pulled the trigger on the P64. Will probably get delivered next weekend. Now off to get some springs and a holster.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

that did not take a lot of arm twisting on our part did it? LMAO! :mrgreen: Welcome to The Brotherhood.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Nah Ketch. I knew it was going to be a losing proposition so I went ahead and got it before the bombardment. :mrgreen: Glad to be part of the brotherhood. Now the P83 has it's little brother for company. Which BTW, I just got another P83 to replace the one with the defective decocker. If I can ever get it to work properly I'll have 2 P83s. :mrgreen:

Ordered the Wolff hammer spring set and the 22# recoils spring. Also got a DeSantis Speed Scabbard holster off eBay for a good price.
Last edited by OG17 on January 27th, 2017, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Good choice.

I would not carry the Tokarev caliber for EDC due to over penetration that may have unintended consequences down range.

But if it came down to TEOTWAWKI it would be a reassuring round to have available.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Thanks Curly.

Do most leave on the plastic grips or change them to some thing else - wooden or rubber.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

We are happy to have you aboard. Love someone with a great sense of humour. And I think most people have kept the plastic grips on because the alternatives are not many but quite a few have gone with Mr Marschalls wonderful wooden wonders which are very nice. I myself went with our own member Polish Irons new slip on plastic molded grips which are AWESOME looking, help alot with recoil and very reasonable price wise. I will have to post the link showing mine. And if you carry IWB consider an Outbags IWB rig. Very well executed and finished and comfortable. Mine was only $26.00 on Amazon.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And here is a link to my post about Polish Irons grips. It also shows my Outbags holster.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6074
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ketch - the Outbags is the leather one, right? I have their nylon w/the mag pouch for each one of my guns. I store them in them and it's what I take them to the range in.

I recently go into the military surplus gun kick. In addition to the Makarov platform I also have milsurups in .380 - Bersa 383DA, 383A, & 83, a FEG MKII APK, and a non-milsurp W. German Sig P230SL. Because of them I got rid of my Glock 42. :evilgrin:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Your right about the holster it is leather. And the fit is very good. And they advertise that it will fit the P-64. And if you like milsurps, like I do, then you need a CZ-82 in 9x18. And right now I believe AIM Surplus has the .380 version, the CZ-83 on sale for a half decent price. And you need an FEG PA-63 in 9x18 too. My next combloc milsurp may be a Tokorav variant or a CZ-52. LOVE that 7.62x25 round! :evilgrin:
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Got the PA-63 and just changed the hammer spring to a reasonable pull. Not crazy about the "cocked and locked" CZ 82/83 platform. The CZ52 was on my radar before I bought the P64 (see my OP). May get another Bulgy or 64 down the road. Got a gun show coming up in a couple of weeks. Wonder if I can keep myself from acquiring something else. :mrgreen: :evilgrin: :wink:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I think the CZ-82 is possibly the best milsurp of them all. And you do not have to carry cocked and locked. I carry standard double action with one loaded. Love the trigger and 13+1 is sweet. And accurate!!
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Image -------> CZ 82

You a bad man Ketch. Twisting my arm like that. :mrgreen:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

whaaaaat......? I didn't do nuuuuuuuthin? Lol. :roll:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I know I will be looking to aquire something at my next gun show here in a couple weeks too. Just don't tell my wife pleeeeeeeze.