New guy from PA

Info, pictures, advice...
GonzoGeezer

New guy from PA

Post by GonzoGeezer »

New member, first post. My major interest is in .32ACP pistols, but I was also bitten by the Makarov bug. I have several, am wrangling to buy a Soviet one, and recently bought my first P-64, from SOG. I already invested in a Polish Iron replacement grip, and this afternoon ordered recoil and hammer springs from Wolff.

When I got the gun I immediately watched the disassembly videos and took the slide apart. If anyone ever thought the P-64 was a PPK knock-off, the slide will disabuse them of that impression. It was fidgety enough that even though I'm getting a new firing pin spring with the recoil spring from Wolff, I'm not going to bother installing it. The frame of the gun was so clean that I didn't bother disassembling it, I simply sprayed it liberally with Balistol and blew the excess out with compressed air.

I do have a question for the group. The package from SOG included a holster, and one matching and one non-matching magazine. Are cleaning rods readily available? Will a P-83 or Mak rod fit in the holster or is the P-64's shorter?

Thanks for the add. I'm looking forward to reading and learning more about my new Polish Pounder.
Last edited by GonzoGeezer on October 30th, 2016, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leadhead2

Re: New guy from PA

Post by leadhead2 »

The cleaning rod for the P64 has a T handle that is hinged to fit along side the rod.
You can find them on ebay or gunbroker now and then. Welcome to the forum.
What part of Pa. are you from?
Denny
GonzoGeezer

Post by GonzoGeezer »

leadhead2 wrote:The cleaning rod for the P64 has a T handle that is hinged to fit along side the rod.
You can find them on ebay or gunbroker now and then. Welcome to the forum.
What part of Pa. are you from?
Denny
Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the T handle cleaning rod, one came with my P-83 Wanad (or maybe it was the Bulgie Mak). Should I restrict my search to strictly P-64 specific rods?

I live in south central PA, outside our benighted state capital.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

Depends what you want.....Those rods are made to fit in the P64's holster.
I like to keep everything original if I can.
Denny
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Cleaning rod here http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/P64-C ... 2p1810.htm
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Find a black holster with cleaning rod, and extra magazine slot as well
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
GonzoGeezer

New guy from PA

Post by GonzoGeezer »

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Mine came with a brown holster with the sleeves for the cleaning rod and extra mag.

Today's first range trip was eye-opening. I hope the new recoil spring helps tame it a bit more.
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

They are snappy but I don't mind it that much....It's not like your going to shoot
a couple boxes thru it at any given range session. They are very accurate, but there
not a target gun. I never cared for changing the springs, as I suspect the arsenal's
had that all figured out way before we did...Have fun.
Denny
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Also try the Polish Iron grip described in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6186 That and a 20# Wolff recoil spring did the trick for me - I can go 100+ rounds with no ill effects.
GonzoGeezer

Post by GonzoGeezer »

22# recoil spring and 17# mainspring are installed. I hope to fit in a short range trip tomorrow to ensure everything works.

The DA trigger pull is now marginally acceptable. If I was going to use it as an EDC I'd spend some time polishing the trigger bits to smooth it out.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

You will find that you have a "hair" trigger now in SA.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GonzoGeezer

Post by GonzoGeezer »

Curly1 wrote:You will find that you have a "hair" trigger now in SA.
Yup!
GonzoGeezer

Post by GonzoGeezer »

Successful range trip. The new 22# recoil spring and Polish Iron grip help tame the recoil quite a bit but it's still a handful. The 17# hammer spring works well with no light strikes though DA is still a chore; polishing would help. The non-matching number magazine is allowing some FTFs but the other mag is flawless.

All in all these have been positive changes for my P64. It returns now to the safe until its next outing, but the other guns there demand attention as well, so it may be awhile.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Check the feed lips on that magazine. If they are not correctly alinged they will cause feed issues.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.