P64 shooting today

Info, pictures, advice...
estook

P64 shooting today

Post by estook »

My 14 yr. old son and I went to the range today to shoot my small arsenal of combloc used weapons, one new Ruger 9E and a 1982 S@W Model 15 38 Special 4 inch barrel. A Mosin Nagant 91/30 1929 Manufacture, 1978 Yugoslavian SKS, 1988 Bulgarian Makarov and the 1967 P64.

Some observations:

The P64 is touted to have snappy recoil- I don't see it although son said it hurt the web between his thumb and finger. After cleaning the slide and firing pin real good (last time I shot it the firing pin was stuck forward, not returning to battery). I loaded the P64 and inserted the magazine, had to push the slide into battery on the first rounds, but not afterward. Didn't even try DA. Pulled back the slide for SA. Very light SA. Small sights, but usable. Hate to say it, but I may sell/trade the P64 for it's unreasonable difficult full disassembly and reassembly and problems already had for a gun that was hardly ever shot. Gun is in beautiful overall condition, just small holster wear on the front or the slide and some scratches that are minor. Mirror bright bore.

The Bulgarian Makarov is in equal condition. I just love this guy, never had any problems at all- none. Put some Pearce grips on it, helps with recoil. Very easy to clean and fully disassemble and reassemble. Always goes bang and is drop safe, unlike the P64. When I get my CC he will be my guy.

Thinking about a P83 from J@G Sales- anybody like these? Drop safe? Reliable? Easy to disassemble?

Just for fun, the polishing of the bolt, cleaning to chamber and using Copper antiseize helped the sticky bolt problem on the Mosin Nagant. The Yugo SKS was, as usual very reliable. The S@W was as usual great. Didn't bring the Romanian TTC, no ammo. The Ruger 9E was fun, nice three dot sights and 17 round mags. Lots of bang for one mag.

Thanks all.

Erik in Jamestown NC
chestertnted

Re: P64 shooting today

Post by chestertnted »

Live my P-64, never sell.
Shoot it slot, lube it well. If it runs dry, can effect getting into battery.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

P83 is a nice piece, I love mine and have it in my CC rotation.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

estook wrote:The P64 is touted to have snappy recoil- I don't see it although son said it hurt the web between his thumb and finger. After cleaning the slide and firing pin real good (last time I shot it the firing pin was stuck forward, not returning to battery).
Two things I've found that helps. My youngest grandson (also 14) is recoil sensitive. A fingerless glove worked wonders to remedy that. I use one, too because it rubs that area of skin between the finger and thumb. Glove fixes that and/or one of Russ's "Polish Iron" synthetic grips. They are a bit larger, more cushioned and surround the entire grip. Granddude #2 approves of those grips, too!

As far as return to battery, had that one on a couple of P64s, also. A 20# recoil spring fixed that for me giving that leeetle bit of extra power to push the slide fully into battery. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

Not sure what the complaint is of the OP regarding "unreasonable disassembly".
The P64 is one of the easiest tear-downs around.
Pretty much 3 pieces and steps:
1) Shift the trigger guard to the side
2) Pull the slide full rearward to lift off of frame
3) Remove recoil spring from the integrated barrel
Clean, Lube, and Re-assemble!
Easy, Peasy, Lemon Squeezy!

Also concur on the padded, fingerless gloves when firing quantities of rounds at the range.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

"unreasonable difficult full disassembly and reassembly"
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Easy to tear down...simple as pie. Look at Walter CCP and compare

TED
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Curly1 wrote:"unreasonable difficult full disassembly and reassembly"
Who cares about full disassembly? Does anybody ever really do that, except to fix a problem? That's like complaining disassembling and reassembling the transmission in you car requires tools. Big whoop, the oil changes are easy.
estook

Post by estook »

I'm not speaking about removing the slide, but total disassembly. I printed up J.Taylors excellent guide, all 76 (or so) pages. It's just a nightmare compared to my Bulgarian Makarov. The Mak uses parts that do multiple duties and is easy to fully disassemble. I've not had one hiccup with the Mak, compared to the P64.
My P64 is a beautiful gun, almost molded steel. It came from Classic Firearms with slight holster wear on the front of the slide and a few scratches. It couldn't have been fired much at all, mirror bore and clean all around. Deep blue finish with two mags. My problem is the complicated construction, not being drop safe and failing to return to battery on occasion. Just can't trust it as a CC.
I do fully strip my guns for cleaning and the joy of these precise mechanical devices that also go bang.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

The failure to go into battery could be multiple reasons but most likely it is ammo, spring or magazine related. And so what if it is a bit complicated to strip down to the frame. How many times a year, let alone in the lifetime you could have it is that gonna happen. Change the springs, experiment with different ammo and magazines till you find the answer and call it a winner cause NO other gun firing a viable self defense round disappears on your person like this one does. And I find part of the fun with older pistols is making them run right. :D
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
dashman77

Post by dashman77 »

"NO other gun firing a viable self defense round disappears on your person like this one does."

Having worked with law enforcement, the horror stories they could tell you of people being shot with a 22, 25, 32 or 380 would turn your stomach. One guy shot himself with a 380 in a downward angle from the top of his leg and the bullet traveled nearly to his foot. The gun that will save your life is the gun that you are comfortable, confident and have a conviction to carry. Caliber be damed, give me a 22 LR over a sharp stick any day! That being said I carry a colt LW commander in 45 acp, amoung others. If you want easy tear down buy a glock. A blind drunk monkey with 4 fingers could break one down to the frame. Ok maybe not but my 43 is pretty awesome.
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.