New owner of a P64

Info, pictures, advice...
estook

New owner of a P64

Post by estook »

What a great site for owners of the P64. Helpful people and great info.

Just got my P64 from Classic Firearms. In almost unfired condition, just a little holster wear on the front of the slide, some scratches on the gun and a mirror bright bore. No cosmoline, just light oil packing. Cleaned this puppy with Break Free Powder Blaster and oiled with Hoppes and RemOil.

Went to the local indoor range to shoot it along with my Bulgarian Makarov and Ruger 9E, left the Romanian TTC at home. By the way the TTC and Makarov came from Classic, both beautiful condition. Shot two mags from the P64 and encountered a failing to return to battery condition. Really unhappy me! The Makarov has never failed to go bang.

Just finished cleaning and using iraqveteran8888 (youtube) instructions hopefully curing the sticking bolt problem on my Mosin Nagant 91/30. Next is the P64- just found the firing pin stuck in firing position. Must be the problem, going to use the J. Taylor assembly manual to clean real closely. Maybe just the slide as the frame and trigger group are crazy weird. My Bulgarian Mak was easy to disassemble completely, clean and reassemble. I'm sure I can do it on the P64, but it seems a little daunting.

Any opinions?

Thanks guys and girls.

Erik from Jamestown, NC
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New owner of a P64

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Erik.

Yes remove the FP and clean out any grease from the channel that may be causing the FP to stick.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yeah what Curly said. +1 on the cleaning part. And welcome to the Brotherhood. Pictures of your new toy by any chance?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Welcome! I've found that for cleaning and degreasing, WD-40 is your new best friend.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

A good cleaning should do it.
And remember to keep it oiled well.
I use Froglube myself
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."