Heavy recoil

Info, pictures, advice...
wolrabm49

Heavy recoil

Post by wolrabm49 »

I took my P64 to the range on saturday. I have fitted wolf springs, with a lighter hammer spring, that feels great. I also used a 20 lb recoil spring, but the recoil is still pretty heavy. I have the V.05 grips on it, which feel nice. We were shooting 22's, 9's and 45 ACP's. All of them were less recoil than the P64, my eight year old grandson shot all the others, but I didn't let him try the P64.

Any advice on improving it, or do I just live with it?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Heavy recoil

Post by Curly1 »

Some peeps think the 22lb recoil spring helps, like some other forum members I didn't notice any difference from the stock spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

sounds like the gun is perfect just put gloves on.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Some peeps think the 22lb recoil spring helps, like some other forum members I didn't notice any difference from the stock spring.
+1 The recoil spring, IMO, doesn't affect "FELT" recoil much, if any. Many others have said the same. My 14 y.o. grandson uses a fingerless glove I got him and he likes that. Heck, I even use one because I have problems with the original grips rubbing my hand raw. The glove fixes that and, I gotta admit, it does make it a bit more tame to shoot! :mrgreen: My 21 y.o. grandson doesn't care and shoots like a boss with the OEM grips.

The new Ver.05 grips Russ makes and sells pretty much address these problems. Git you some!!!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

The P-64 is " Snappy ".
It is small, and kicks.
Practice with it till tolerable.
My EDC!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

He already has Russ's V05 grips.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Lot of talk about recoil with this weapon. I'm not feeling it. There is a fundamental called recoil management. Doesn't require an over-molded grip.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

culpeper wrote:Lot of talk about recoil with this weapon. I'm not feeling it. There is a fundamental called recoil management. Doesn't require an over-molded grip.

...and oh mighty wise one, pray tell, which ammo doth thou use to spare thy delicate hands from this mythical beast heretofore known as Recoil?
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

A lot of variables and factors drive felt recoil, including the physical characteristics of the shooter.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I love my P-64, and I EDc it.
But it kicks more, to me, than my Maks, P-83 etc.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I use 9x18.

Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

culpeper wrote:Lot of talk about recoil with this weapon. I'm not feeling it. There is a fundamental called recoil management. Doesn't require an over-molded grip.

Recoil management has NOTHING to do with Felt Recoil and has everything to do with staying on target. Not all of us have the same size/shape hands so yes for some an over-molded grip may help.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Please tell me you see the fallacy in the first part of your argument. Improper recoil management will result in more felt recoil. We all know the fundamentals here. What people are really feeling is the slide slamming back. We know that is the slap we feel down the arm. So, how you get behind your weapon and use your person to absorb some of that punishment is important. So, if you thinking "ouch" then that is distracting from staying on target. There is a correlation between felt recoil and staying on target. Some simple exercising will help. Get a post hole digger and dig a few holes a couple of feet deep. If your hands, arms, and shoulders are sore the next day then you probably need to do some exercising. Like keep digging post holes until the P64 stops hurting.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

culpeper wrote:I use 9x18.

This is either a smartass answer, or you don't even know what ammo you use. The amount of actual recoil depends a lot on the mass of the bullet and the powder charge. That's why they make different recoil springs...so you can match the kinetic energy absorption of the spring to the amount of KE produced by the round.

Of course, you just compensate by digging some post holes or something. Do you put Windex on mystery rashes, too?
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

It was never my intention to get people upset over the recoil of a mouse gun. I really don't care how much people know or don't know about what a weapon does or does not do. I started out merely stating, "I'm not feeling it". People got their feelings hurt. Sorry about that but there is no crying with firearms. Not exactly an unconditional apology but one just the same.