Did I get unlucky with buying this P64?

Info, pictures, advice...
Peezy

Re: Did I get unlucky with buying this P64?

Post by Peezy »

mikethedruid: looking at the bore, its like a mirror and very shiny with no real discernible spots of residue/oil. It seems like the Polish officer that owned this before me shot it at the range the day before turning it in with corrosive ammo, and just didn't bother cleaning the chamber out. sob lol

weasel640: thanks so much for replying. I'm going to wait until this holiday is over for them to reply, I contacted them right before the weekend and memorial day weekend came. The minute I got it home, I took the grips off and field stripped it, putting the slide and frame into a vat of mineral spirits for 48 hours. I flushed it out with boiling hot water and used compressed tank air to dry what little water remained. That's when I noticed the horrible pitting, because originally I thought it was old, caked on cosmoline. The area of rust near in the slide near the loaded chamber indicator also remained despite the mineral spirit bath and wash. Well I thought the gun came bone dry, so I then soaked it in 10w30 for like 4 hours, took it out and wiped a lot of the excess and now its in a plastic bag smothered in oil waiting for the retailer.

Speaking of which, the retailer I won't nameyet because the memorial day weekend probably is an inopportune time for a reply (I'll wait till tomorrow though) and I'm still giving them a chance, but I will mention they are a large online retailer that people often go to for c&r guns.
Peezy

Post by Peezy »

Ok last update. They contacted me today, said they'll pay for priority return label via USPS and to contact my local gun store to see if they'll return it. Well, I called the store where I had the FFL transfer and they refused, saying that despite the return shipping label being paid for that they're too busy as a shop to return items for non customers. UGH, so I may fork out the shipping via UPS/Fedex, or I might just take some 0000 steel wool and some oil and get scrubbing. Anyone think I could buff the pits out if I'm careful?
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Oh boy!
Downsides of mil-surp I guess.
All I can say is I always buy my 9×18's at the LGS. You can look them over pretty good.
I live in a big city and do an occasional fun gun run!
Not an option for some i know. Hold their stones to the fire. You should not have to pay a penny, in any way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The gun store passed up the opportunity to gain a new customer. shame on them.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

It seems like many if not most gun shops are run by jackwads that leap at any opportunity to screw someone out of a few measly bucks. It's rare to find one that actually tries to do what's best by the customer.
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

Still no vendor named? Or did I miss it?
Drec

Post by Drec »

I just read though this whole thread and didn't see a vendor named either. Sadly the OP hasn't been back to this forum since May, so we'll probably never know. I agree that the LGS could have helped the buyer, but choose not to; which would be a reason for me to look for another LGS.