Info, pictures, advice...
Peezy

Did I get unlucky with buying this P64?

Post by Peezy »

So I got a P64 from an online vendor, and it came looking like this:

http://imgur.com/a/0Rodm

Is it salvageable?
tech 1

Re: Did I get unlucky with buying this P64?

Post by tech 1 »

Unlucky and ripped off. If that gun wasn't advertised in that condition send it back .
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yea that is pretty bad.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Unless you bought a gunsmith special very cheap, not so good.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

Unless that pistol was advertised as "for repair or parts" You were ripped off. I would try to get my money back if it was being sold as a usable weapon as it is.
Peezy

Post by Peezy »

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking guys. I got into contact with them but they want me to ship it to them for an exchange, and paying $60 (UPS or Fedex) for 2nd day air plus another $25 transfer fee just to have the correct product in my hands is a bit irritating.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Peezy wrote:Thanks for confirming what I was thinking guys. I got into contact with them but they want me to ship it to them for an exchange, and paying $60 (UPS or Fedex) for 2nd day air plus another $25 transfer fee just to have the correct product in my hands is a bit irritating.
What vendor did you buy this from? This does not seem like something anyone reputable would do to a buyer.

I get the FFL transfer fee is between your FFL and you so not within their control. But they should pay the shipping for an exchange.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Let them know you post on P64resource.com. You will tell everybody about them!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

Take it to an FFL and they can ship it for you with USPS for a lot less. My FFL only charges me actual cost. Sent a gun back to factory for me to $11.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Seems like the seller should be picking up the entire tab. They misrepresented the product and sent you junk.
Goberserk

Post by Goberserk »

Should the buyer have taken delivery on this gun at the time of the FFL transfer? What power does a buyer have if shipped a firearm that is not as described? I think my FFL would back me up in sending it back without completing the transfer. In gratitude I might try to make my next purchase directly from him.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Peezy

Post by Peezy »

Damn, the dealer let me inspect it but it being my first firearm I didn't even consider to field strip it and check the inside. If I said f it, could I use 0000 steel wool and some 10w30 and get scrubbing? I'm still waiting for the retailer to contact me (its memorial day weekend, perfect timing), so sending it back and getting a refund and hand picking my own P64 from a local gun store is still my ultimate plan.

Also, since I don't want to start a new thread lol, but I'm from Poland (currently live in the states) and I'm visiting family this summer and I'm pretty much going to be 100km away from Radom, Pl. Is there anywhere in Polska where I can buy some magazines? Like for 25 zlotych as opposed to 25 usd a pop hahah?
mikethedruid

Post by mikethedruid »

Another thing occurs to me. You don't show the condition of the inside of the barrel. That corrosion on the breech end might indicate the weapon was "rode hard and put away wet," that is, shot a good bit and then not cleaned, leaving the powder residue to corrode the metal. If the barrel is as bad as the breech, I would not want the weapon at all.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Peezy wrote:Damn, the dealer let me inspect it but it being my first firearm I didn't even consider to field strip it and check the inside. If I said f it, could I use 0000 steel wool and some 10w30 and get scrubbing? I'm still waiting for the retailer to contact me (its memorial day weekend, perfect timing), so sending it back and getting a refund and hand picking my own P64 from a local gun store is still my ultimate plan.
Lesson learned. Always do a function check and field strip inspection before excepting from the FFL. The FFL can do a return to sender next time. Don't touch it until you've heard back from the vendor. They should take it back and cover shipping, don't let them tell you anything else. You should also let us know who the vendor is, you are just going to help other potential buyers avoid this situation. It's bogus they want you to pay for the shipping back when it's their mess up. They should own up to their mistakes and if they aren't then people need to know.

As far as scrubbing it out goes; You have chips in the chamber at the extraction point and the loaded chamber indicator point (top center), these chips are not going to simply scrub out. Those chips are pretty deep and debatably an issue, but are probably just cosmetic. See these discussions:
viewtopic.php?t=3074
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3042&view=previous
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4211
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5111

Also the corrosion around the chamber appears to have gotten in between the barrel and the frame. You do have a good bit of Cosmoline in your slide (most notably in the loaded chamber indicator channel) so a lot of what looks like corrosion might just be dried Cosmoline (dark brown in color). You would have to give it a bath and thorough cleaning to get all the Cosmoline out to see what corrosion you actually have.

Corrosion aside, all that Cosmoline will cause all kinds of function issues if not thoroughly cleaned out. There are plenty of threads on cleaning Cosmoline out (here and on other forums). But I find the best way for me is to strip it down as far as comfortable, removing all pins, springs, screws, etc. Then soaking all metal parts in mineral spirits overnight. Followed by a good scrubbing and cleaning of all parts making sure to clean out every hole, channel, and chamber, etc. You have to make sure the stuff is out of every nook and cranny. Then let it all dry, and re-apply a light coat of oil to everything. Lastly re-assemble and preform a function check (always using snap caps).
Peezy wrote:Also, since I don't want to start a new thread lol, but I'm from Poland (currently live in the states) and I'm visiting family this summer and I'm pretty much going to be 100km away from Radom, Pl. Is there anywhere in Polska where I can buy some magazines? Like for 25 zlotych as opposed to 25 usd a pop hahah?
Good question. I'm fairly certain most of us don't know the answer. Those that do have probably mail ordered them all up for themselves.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IMO that condition should have been noticed by just pulling the slide back w/o having to field strip it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary