my p64 has a light da pull since i bought it

Info, pictures, advice...
packersfan036

my p64 has a light da pull since i bought it

Post by packersfan036 »

my p64 has a light da pull since i bought it anyone else have this happen. I'm guessing it was done in Poland lol
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: my p64 has a light da pull since i bought it

Post by Curly1 »

Does it look like it saw service or unissued?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
packersfan036

Post by packersfan036 »

looks like it saw service but in great shape. not for sure though. heres a pic
Attachments
WP_20160518_00_34_31_Pro (800x451).jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It's possible that if it saw service the owner at the time had some work done on it.

Nice example.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
packersfan036

Post by packersfan036 »

ya it sure has had the da trigger pull worked on its probably a 6 pound pull.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

The original trigger spring with the ultra-high 28+# pull is a thick, black wire. Newer, lighter (as in the Wolff springs, at least) are a thinner wire and more silvery in color. You can easily see the spring if you take the grips off. This might give you a clue. See what's there, I suppose anything is possible. Who knows?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very lucky!
I assume it shoots okay. No weak hammer strike?
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
packersfan036

Post by packersfan036 »

what do you guys think of the condition of the p-64 looking at the picture?
Rancher9

Post by Rancher9 »

The external Bluing on the slide, near the muzzle of your p-64 is a lot better than mine. More wear on the trigger and trigger guard than mine. I just did a Wolff spring up grade on mine. the da pull is around 7 to 8 pounds (fish scale measurement), which is a bit heaver than yours. Over all, it looks like a great buy.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Rancher9 wrote: I just did a Wolff spring up grade on mine. the da pull is around 7 to 8 pounds...
What spring did you use?!?! :shock: The lightest Wolff hammer spring is 17# (which isn't popular as it can sometimes result in light strikes) but a 7-8 lb. pull seems WAAAAAAAY too low. 16-17 might happen but I'm ot sure how you'd get DA to 7-8 lbs. If it is the SA pull would be like 1/2 lb!!!!! Might wanna check your scale.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Robhic said it for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Rancher9

Post by Rancher9 »

robhic wrote:
Rancher9 wrote: I just did a Wolff spring up grade on mine. the da pull is around 7 to 8 pounds...
What spring did you use?!?! :shock: The lightest Wolff hammer spring is 17# (which isn't popular as it can sometimes result in light strikes) but a 7-8 lb. pull seems WAAAAAAAY too low. 16-17 might happen but I'm ot sure how you'd get DA to 7-8 lbs. If it is the SA pull would be like 1/2 lb!!!!! Might wanna check your scale.
The hammer spring I installed is a 17#. This old fish scaleI used is not the best choice for measuring the Double Action.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Rancher9 wrote:The hammer spring I installed is a 17#. This old fish scale I used is not the best choice for measuring the Double Action.
I'd agree with that! The weight of the spring is generally pretty close to what your DA pull will be. I had one with a 17# spring and experienced some light strikes. Went back and changed all my P64s to the 18# to be safe. Never a problem since.

When the guy at the range checked with their gauge for me he got about exactly 18# for the DA and around 3.5 - 4 for the SA weight. As I am not aware of a 7-8# spring being available for these guns is why I questioned your result. PLUS, the DA - SA weights are not nearly proportional, so a 7# DA pull would give a MASSIVELY UNSAFE, light SA pull somewhere in the "just breathe on it" :mrgreen: range. That'd be a scary weapon!!!
- Robert