Help

Info, pictures, advice...
jkware

Help

Post by jkware »

Having problems with decocker/safety, pistol will not recock once i decock it and had accidental discharge at friends range when charging pistol, any fixes, this started after changing recoil and hammer spring. Thanks!
snailman153624

Re: Help

Post by snailman153624 »

Sounds like you reassembled it incorrectly. Make sure the hammer strut is sitting in the right spot.
jkware

Post by jkware »

Thanks i'll try to redo that part.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Let us know how it turns out.

Welcome to the forum JK.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jkware

Post by jkware »

I have tried disassembling the pistol and taking the hammer strut out, and putting it back, I think it is something to do with the safety. Any ideas, otherwise i think i will have to part it out, it is a 1968 model my son has a 1974 that is flawless.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Maybe take a look through these. You might figure it out.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

jkware wrote:Having problems with decocker/safety, pistol will not recock once i decock it and had accidental discharge at friends range when charging pistol, any fixes, this started after changing recoil and hammer spring. Thanks!
Thinking out loud here. When you put the lever into 'safe/decock' a bar swings up and blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. I can't figure how you could PUT the weapon in decock and get it to discharge unless that block was 1) not raised (completely?) or 2) something is broken. Looking at the (removed) slide, when you move the lever from 'fire' to 'safe/decock' do you see this happening? If it is, I got nothin'. If the blocking bar is NOT moving seems to me that the problem lies in the safety assembly itself. I think you might want to look at your and your son's slides side-by-side and see the difference between how the 2 operate when the lever is rotated.

If yours is hard to move (and you BET I've had those!) and not rotating all the way, it might let the hammer strike the FP. Better cleaning and lubing might take care of it. But I'd do some comparison since you have a functioning model to use for comparison. Good luck.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:
jkware wrote:Having problems with decocker/safety, pistol will not recock once i decock it and had accidental discharge at friends range when charging pistol, any fixes, this started after changing recoil and hammer spring. Thanks!
Thinking out loud here. When you put the lever into 'safe/decock' a bar swings up and blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin. I can't figure how you could PUT the weapon in decock and get it to discharge unless that block was 1) not raised (completely?) or 2) something is broken. Looking at the (removed) slide, when you move the lever from 'fire' to 'safe/decock' do you see this happening? If it is, I got nothin'. If the blocking bar is NOT moving seems to me that the problem lies in the safety assembly itself. I think you might want to look at your and your son's slides side-by-side and see the difference between how the 2 operate when the lever is rotated.

If yours is hard to move (and you BET I've had those!) and not rotating all the way, it might let the hammer strike the FP. Better cleaning and lubing might take care of it. But I'd do some comparison since you have a functioning model to use for comparison. Good luck.
I think he was saying that it accidentally discharged while he was trying to manually cock the hammer. Meaning that 1) the was a problem with the trigger bar not contacting the hammer to begin with; 2) the sear was not in place to hold the hammer back once cocked. Again this is while he was trying to manually cock it, so the safety would be on the fire selection. That, in my head, points to a problem with how the Disconnector interacts with the Sear and Trigger Bar. Meaning that something got misaligned or loosened while he was changing springs. So he needs to go back through the assembly manual that I linked and make sure everything is in there right. It would probably be a good ideal to test functionality with snap caps prior to live ammo.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:I think he was saying that it accidentally discharged while he was trying to manually cock the hammer. Meaning that 1) the was a problem with the trigger bar not contacting the hammer to begin with; 2) the sear was not in place to hold the hammer back once cocked. Again this is while he was trying to manually cock it, so the safety would be on the fire selection. That, in my head, points to a problem with how the Disconnector interacts with the Sear and Trigger Bar. Meaning that something got misaligned or loosened while he was changing springs. So he needs to go back through the assembly manual that I linked and make sure everything is in there right. It would probably be a good ideal to test functionality with snap caps prior to live ammo.
If that's the case then, yeah, something's not right. Wasn't there a thread about the sear hanging a bit and a mild dremel or file-work inside the slide in that area plus a drop of oil ON the sear to make it slide up and down more easily? Keep it from sticking? This is getting outta my depth.... :(
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
jkware

Post by jkware »

Thanks for all the advice, I've tried all you've suggested, I think I'm just going to have to part that the gun out, I don't trust it and I don't want someone else to get hurt with it.