New member and a new 1974 P64

Info, pictures, advice...
Lotema

New member and a new 1974 P64

Post by Lotema »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and the P64. My name is Steve (aka Lotema) and have been collecting a fair amount of milsurp firearms for the past few years. Mostly I've been collecting rifles (the Mosin being my downfall) but have recently started getting into surplus pistols as well. The P64 is the 2nd surplus pistol I've grabbed recently, the other being a 1916 Nagant.

Over the weekend a friend and myself found a couple of P64's at a local shop and after looking them over I decided to grab the 1974. It had a bit more wear in the finish than the others but I liked it as the serial number started with the same letters as my last name. Goofy reason to pick it over the others but that's the one that called to me.

I wound up taking it back to the range on Sunday, along with my oldest son. Was good to have him back out shooting with me again. He got his first job last year and has been working on the weekends so hasn't had a chance to hit the range with me. Got him setup shooting the Glock 17 (his choice, I offered him my Kimber 1911 but he wanted the Glock! Crazy kids). I got myself all ready to shoot, target lined up, pulled the trigger and holy cow that little gun has an angry side! I've read about everyone saying how snappy it was but I still wasn't quite prepared for it! It absolutely grabbed my attention! I was happy with the shot placement though, just left of the bullseye. Fired the rest of the magazine and started getting used to how it handled. Managed a pretty respectable grouping for my first magazine. Wouldn't have won a competition with it but would have dispatched a bad guy no problem. I let my son give it a try and well, he does not care for that one at all! He shot pretty well with it but was rubbing the webbing of his hand afterwards. He said thanks but no thanks and went back to shooting the Glock.

I put the rest of the box of ammo through it and was pretty happy with the results. Like most reviews I've seen, it's snappy but very accurate. I totally agree. By the end of the box, I was pretty much done shooting it. Definitely not a pistol that I'd shoot 100 rounds through at the range but can see it being a fantastic carry weapon. I measured the trigger on it last night and the single action was a bit under 4 pounds. Double action wouldn't register on my scale as it only goes up to 15 pounds. I figure that it was probably close to double that in double action. I tried a couple of double action shots at the range and did ok with them, about 3" off from POA. In the real world if I had to use it that way, it would be much worse I'm sure. The single action though was surprisingly light. I'm going to hold off on the spring kit until after Titanium Hammer replaces his. I've read how it really helps the double action but can make the single action too close to a hair trigger. As light as the single action is, I don't know that I'd want it any lighter!

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the pistol. In single action it's got a very smooth and light trigger pull and is quite accurate. I don't carry often but when I do, I think this will be a great little pistol to fit that role.

And of course no story is complete without some photos!

Lotema
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New member and a new 1974 P64

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Steve.

I shot 125 rounds thur mine one session, yea it was a little painful.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Join the Polish love!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Thanks guys. 125 rounds, my hand cringes thinking about that! I'll very likely get some other grips for it and hopefully those will help a bit.

I've got plenty of love for the Polish firearms. That's actually the direction I'm going to be taking with my collection for a while. I've got 75% Polish blood in me so it makes sense. I've got a Polish M44 already (smoothest Mosin I've got) and figure I'll grab the Polish Tokarev next. After that, probably a wz29, wz48 trainer etc.. I've got a very long list of firearms I want to add. Just don't tell my wife that, as far as she knows I only need one or two more :D
Lotema
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Changed the hammer springs in my P64s to the 18# Wolff springs. DA pull (measured by the guy at the range) was around 18# and SA was down to only around 3-4# so it's really not so bad. I read the original IS about a 30# trigger pull DA. So don't be too worried about lightening the hammer spring. The kick? Not much to help that! My grandson wears a fingerless glove (and so do I sometimes) which helps tremendously.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

Welcome Steve!
I've found that a decent pair of padded shooting gloves helps emmensely at the range.

After I got my CPL, I decided to improve my proficiency at the range, so I started up the ranks of NRA Pistol qualification, and was able to achieve Distinguished Expert, and now working on my Defensive Pistol qualifications - and halfway up the hill towards that DE ranking.
Since I wanted to qualify with the pistol I'd be carrying most, I opted to use the P64 for almost all this shooting (probably over 2000 rounds through her so far!). Its accuracy was another reason. But I mainly wanted to practice with what I'd be most likely to be using in a pinch, so the P64 was the choice.
Got myself a pair of fingerless leather shooting gloves, with some decent palm padding, and this makes a big difference with this baby mule, in taming her kick - especially after a couple hundred rounds in a session!
I also put a nice pair of black walnut grips on it, with a decent beaver tail contour that helps protect the area between my thumb and forefinger. (improved looks also a bonus!)

Good Shooting!

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

That's a nice looking P64. I like the grips - where did they come from? Also, is there any noticeable seam at the backstrap and under the beavertail? The original, plastic grips have one and they form a 'T' which I've found abrades my skin between the thumb and forefinger. That's one reason I sometimes use the fingerless glove if shooting more than 10-20 rounds or so. Leaving the range unbloodied is considered a successful day! :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

Hi Robhic,
The grips came from Marschal grips out of Hungary.
I think I paid around $75 or $80 for them plus shipping.
They fit, look and feel great.
There is no perceivable ridge at the seam in the back (unlike the original plastic ones).
And what I really like with this style, is that the length is extended down to the bottom of the magazine, so its flush.
This gives you about 10mm more grip length for the pinky area.
Mine are dark grey/black walnut with checkering, but you could go a number of different ways with woods, colors, patterns, etc.
I liked the subtle look of the blackish wood, rather than something starkly contrasting (which I did do with my 1941 Walther P38).
If I remember right, I ordered from his off-the-shelf stock, rather than wait X weeks more for the custom-made route.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice looking grips!

Here's mine.
Attachments
P64_L12.JPG
P64_L12.JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Those wooden grips really look great! I'd love to get some but my cheap side :mrgreen: is unwilling to pay almost 1/2 the cost of the pistol!!! (I got mine for around $200) They still look great but I'm gonna cheap-out and use my gloves and just keep carrying one of my Glocks. But thanks for the info.
- Robert

Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Bergerboy wrote:Hi Robhic,
The grips came from Marschal grips out of Hungary.
I think I paid around $75 or $80 for them plus shipping.
They fit, look and feel great.
There is no perceivable ridge at the seam in the back (unlike the original plastic ones).
And what I really like with this style, is that the length is extended down to the bottom of the magazine, so its flush.
This gives you about 10mm more grip length for the pinky area.
Mine are dark grey/black walnut with checkering, but you could go a number of different ways with woods, colors, patterns, etc.
I liked the subtle look of the blackish wood, rather than something starkly contrasting (which I did do with my 1941 Walther P38).
If I remember right, I ordered from his off-the-shelf stock, rather than wait X weeks more for the custom-made route.
Those grips really good! They're exactly what I was looking to put on mine later this summer :D

I got the pistol back to the range last weekend and it wasn't as bad on my hand as the week before. I think part of it is just getting the right grip on the pistol. I changed how I was holding it a bit and it was a much better experience.
Lotema