Slide stop break

Info, pictures, advice...
Archie

Slide stop break

Post by Archie »

Bought a p64 and took it to the range. Using PPU fmj 93gr, ran through one magazine. Shot great, but on 2nd mag, the slide locked open after 4th round. Thought it was a jam, but no. After disassembly, I realized that the end of the slide stop had broken off. Was able to take the pistol back to where I purchased it and exchange for another, so problem fixed. Anybody got insight on what might have caused this malfunction? I'm excited about owning and shooting the p64, and hope I don't have to face this problem again.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Slide stop break

Post by Curly1 »

Does it look like a lot of rounds have been run thru it?

Welcome to the forum Archie.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Archie

Post by Archie »

Thanks!
The pistol had definitely seen some use, but overall wear was not bad. The only thing I noticed that bothered me before it malfunctioned was a small nick on the chamber entrance at about the 10 o'clock position. All of the other p64s I've looked at (only 4) have the same damage in the same spot, including the pistol that replaced the one that broke.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I'm not disputing what happened, I'm just a bit foggy how if the slide stop (I'm assuming you mean the lever that raises after the last round is fired) end broke, the slide would lock-back prematurely and not just lock-back closer to the breech due to shorter lever? Like it would work normally, just stop closer in, due to the break.

As to what could cause this, only a guess but perhaps there was a crack in the lever and you were just the lucky one to shoot the round that finally snapped it. I've not heard of this otherwise
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Archie

Post by Archie »

You're correct. The slide did not lock open like I stated, but came to rest on the broken lever, my bad. Hope it was just bad luck. Glad to hear it's not a common problem.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Archie wrote:You're correct. The slide did not lock open like I stated, but came to rest on the broken lever, my bad. Hope it was just bad luck. Glad to hear it's not a common problem.
This is the first I've heard of. A more common problem is the lever bending in a bit OR the rim inside the slide that it hits rounding off a bit so the lever slides off and pinches the slide open. I've had it happen myself. :cry:

Another member did, too, and it took new levers and a bit of Dremel work to re-flatten the edge (inside) so the new lever would hit squarely and work as designed. Hope replacing the lever fixes yours without further work.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Archie

Post by Archie »

Thanks for the helpful info Robert.