Trading my P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
bigbake132

Trading my P-64

Post by bigbake132 »

Are trade discussions allowed on here? Just want to pose a question but just out of curiosity, if I wanted to trade my P-64 locally (Mid Michigan), what do you think would be a firearm I could reasonably get in return? 1970 P-64 with 2 mags, holster, cleaning rod, 2 East German mag pouches. Looking for a concealed carry gun in 9x19mm, .380, or .38 special.

EDIT: Removed the Mossberg part because I purchased one.
Last edited by bigbake132 on February 29th, 2016, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wapari

Re: Trading my P-64

Post by wapari »

Pretty dumb if you ask me. It is the best bang for the buck. Besides, it feeds Silver Bear hollow points without fail and is very concealable for other purposes. It has slightly more power than a .380 so why go there? Personal defense or household defense this is a good gun. I got my CCL with it and carry it everywhere with confidence. What's not to like?
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

dont do it!
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

bigbake132 wrote:Are trade discussions allowed on here? Just want to pose a question but just out of curiosity, if I wanted to trade my P-64 locally (Mid Michigan), what do you think would be a firearm I could reasonably get in return? 1970 P-64 with 2 mags, holster, cleaning rob, 2 East German mag pouches. Looking for a home defense shotgun leaning towards the Mossberg family but would consider others. OR a concealed carry gun in 9x19mm, .380, or .38 special
You've kinda answered your own question. You can get P64s in decent condition for $199 in some places. Magazine pouches? That'd be a personal preference. What could you get for $200? Why trade a 9mm (OK, 9X18 but that's pretty darn close!!) for a 38? The 380 I won't even comment on....

A P64 with Hornady HP ammo is a badass weapon! Their XTP and/or FTX rounds are good SD carry ammo in a small and STURDY, powerful pistol! What's NOT to like?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

I humbly disagree with the previous comments.

I like my p64 very much, but I'm no fanboy. I also like my Mossberg 590 and would go to it for home defense long before considering my p64.

Cost-wise, they're in the same ballpark. Caliber-wise, nor even close. A Mossberg 500 or 590 is a viable option and clearly superior to a 9x18 for home defense.

Just my 2¢.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Well yea if you have a shotgun use that for HD and a handgun as backup.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
bigbake132

Post by bigbake132 »

Alright, let me update everyone on the status right now and give an explanation as to why I wanted to trade my P-64. First an update: I bought a Mossberg 500 w/heat shield from my local store that was on sale for $299 so I came away happy. So, that's been taken care of.

I think I might have been a bit hasty and making a possible knee jerk reaction to some bad outings with the P-64. Honestly, its just not fun to shoot. I know its supposed to be a carry gun and therefore not something you'd expect to perform as well as a range gun due to its small size, but even so, I just wasn't having any fun with it. Its just so snappy (I haven't installed the Wolf recoil spring but even so, it would have to reduce the recoil WAY more for me to enjoy it).

I'm still up in the air about what to do. I could hang on to it and wait until the prices go up and either sell or trade it in for a gun of increased value (remember when Mosins were $89-$99?). P-64's seem to be drying up a bit or at least from AIM surplus where I bought mine (they don't have anymore Grade 2 pistols, only Grade 1 at $249). The other places have them slightly cheaper but usually they don't come with an extra mag or a holster.

I also have a Canik TP9-V2 pistol and like that 9mm Luger is easy and cheap to get as opposed to having to rely on ordering/buying online with the 9x18. The reason I suggested trading for another 9mm carry gun is to consolidate calibers or go with a pistol (like the 380 or 38 special) with less recoil and snappyness.

Hope that helps and thanks for any feedback especially if its constructive.

Happy and safe shooting!
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

Shooting the p64 is no day at the beach - - the gazillion posts on this forum alone on what can be done to tame it testify to that.

This is a great forum with lots of great information, but like others like it, the collection of aficionados here covers a wide spectrum of brand loyalty.

Practically speaking, there are better defensive pistols and calibers out there than the p64 & 9x18mak. Just sayin'.

I may love my rigid frame Harley panhead, but would never suggest it's the perfect bike for a cross country road trip.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Your Canik 9mm cannot be hidden like the P-64. No way, no how. And that is part of the joy of this gun. It flat out disappears under any garments so you ALWAYS have a gun, which is the whole reason for "going about armed" is it not? Nothing bad about the Canik, have never even fondled one, but it is a much larger pistol. That being said, the P-64 is as Jeff Cooper called the Star PD, "carried a lot and shot a little". It is not meant to be a "fun" gun. It was designed to take care of a bad bit of business when needed and it does that in spades. And that is why we love them.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

well said ketchman
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thank you sir. I appreciate that. But I don't want to see him make the mistake of trading off a pistol that does such a good job at what it does simply because it is not as much fun as another pistol.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Hey Big Bake, what part of mid Michigan? I am originally from Lansing.
bigbake132

Post by bigbake132 »

I understand and your right the Canik would be a poor carry pistol except in the winter wearing a coat. However, I like to be proficient with the pistol I am depending my life on and its hard to become proficient when I dread shooting it on range day.

Plus, the ammo is affordable only if I buy bulk online and its hard to justify stocking up for a pistol I don't enjoy shooting. That's why I suggested 9mm because I have another pistol that uses it or .380 that would be a little less snappy.

I don't have my CPL yet anyway. I saw a news story here in Lansing (where I live) that our local politicians proposed a bill that would make it optional use need a CPL to carry. If that happens then that would save me a bit of money. I don't travel out of the state at all much or buy guns frequently so having a CPL wouldn't make much difference in those areas either.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Big Bake,
Nice to hear from a Lansing man! Graduated from Sexton in '77. We got out in '07 before they shut the lights out there. The other option is to practice by dry firing. Make sure you use a snap cap or fired casing as dry firing can cause the firing pin to break. And then only fire it enough to make sure it still works or use a recoil glove when you practice. PM me sometime and we will talk about Lansing. :hi: