still heavy after replacing hammer spring with 18 # wolff

Info, pictures, advice...
drummer

Re: still heavy after replacing hammer spring with 18 # wolf

Post by drummer »

robhic wrote:
drummer wrote:I replaced mine with the 18 lb Wolff as well and didn't feel much difference with it compared to the original spring with a DA trigger pull. The switch did make the SA very light.
:?: :?: :?: The gun comes with an approximately 30# trigger pull! It won't register on most "normal" trigger pull gauges. I'm not sure what was used but it's above 28-30 lbs. stock. Granted, the Wolff 18# spring is still a good pull (as is the 17#), but NOwhere near the original. There has GOT to be a bind, misalignment or something mechanical causing your woes. Lack of lube (sparingly!) in the right places could help but there should be NO confusion between the original and a Wolff replacement. Are you sure it is the 18# and not the 19 or 20# spring you used? Because I'm about outta ideas without seeing it. :(
Yes the Wolff replacement was a #18 and sorry to tell you on my P64 there wasn't any noticeable change to the feel of the DA. Huge change to the SA but not on the DA.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

drummer wrote:Yes the Wolff replacement was a #18 and sorry to tell you on my P64 there wasn't any noticeable change to the feel of the DA. Huge change to the SA but not on the DA.
Where exactly did you get your P-64? Are you entirely sure that it had the stock spring when you replaced it? How many P-64s do you have? Would you be able to compare the DA trigger pull with another P-64?
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
zoics

Post by zoics »

got this from Aimsurplus
drummer

Post by drummer »

Weasel640 wrote:
drummer wrote:Yes the Wolff replacement was a #18 and sorry to tell you on my P64 there wasn't any noticeable change to the feel of the DA. Huge change to the SA but not on the DA.
Where exactly did you get your P-64? Are you entirely sure that it had the stock spring when you replaced it? How many P-64s do you have? Would you be able to compare the DA trigger pull with another P-64?
I got the replacement from gunsprings.com and it was in Wolff packaging. I only have the one so I don't have another P64 to compare it to. It's not that I'm complaining about it it's just that I was expecting an improvement in the DA. I would try a 17 lb spring but the SA is so light now I don't want it any lighter.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

See below.
Last edited by Ketchman on January 28th, 2016, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

The 18 pound spring , or the 17 pound spring for that matter, will not bring the DA pull into what is considered acceptable by modern firearm standards. It just will not. What the 18# WILL do is make the DA pull easier to use than the stock spring and that is the best you can hope for. I personally think of it as character.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Aren't the Wolff springs longer than the stock one?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

culpeper wrote:Aren't the Wolff springs longer than the stock one?

They might be but the originals are of thicker gauge wire and MUCH heavier to pull! I've read the original pull is about 30 lbs. ±! Length of new spring should make no difference.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I know but you can look and see which is which at a glance was my motivation.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:
culpeper wrote:Aren't the Wolff springs longer than the stock one?

They might be but the originals are of thicker gauge wire and MUCH heavier to pull! I've read the original pull is about 30 lbs. ±! Length of new spring should make no difference.
I think he is suggesting that you could use the length/thickness to identify an original vs Wolff Spring. If both springs that they have are about the same size then they know they did not start out with an original spring.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I'm at the point where confusion is setting in. :shock: The original trigger pull is around 30 pounds. Excessive! The heaviest replacement Wolff spring is 20 pounds. High but still an improvement.

I originally put the lightest 17 pound Wolff replacement spring in 3 P64s that I bought. Improved the pull tremendously, so much so that my 13 yr old grandson can pull it! There is NO confusion between the original spring which I could not even pull at times (!!!) and the lighter Wolff springs. Due to light primer strikes (I was warned...) in the 13 yr old's gun, I replaced all 3 with 18 pound Wolff springs and have used that weight in all other P64s since. The young man can STILL pull the 18 pound trigger. It's not great but doable.

Now, there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD (my opinion) that ANY Wolff replacement spring could or would be confused with that ridiculous, original 30 pound trigger pull. It just can't. If it is ... all the looking at spring length and wire diameter ain't gonna do a thing. If you can NOT tell a difference between a 30 pound and a (supposed) 18 pound trigger pull there is something wrong! I say with the gun - rubbing, binding, misfit part(s), whatever but there ain't NO way 18 and 30 is gonna feel the same. Sorry for the rant but this has gone on for 2 pages and physical properties are what they are. 18 is NOT the same as 30. It's something else.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

+1 robhic.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

You may be giving mankind too much credit. :) Anyway, my 18# spring is averaging 18# DA trigger pull.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

culpeper wrote:You may be giving mankind too much credit. :) Anyway, my 18# spring is averaging 18# DA trigger pull.
As it should. I had the guy at the indoor range where I go, test mine as I have no gauge. He came up with 18 DA and around 3-3.5# SA. The original took almost 2 hands to pull at times. I could get one and if I didn't stay in SA after that, a second DA pull was questionable. I have a friend who is a big boy (understatement) and much younger. HE had some difficulty with the original P64 trigger. I sold him one (at cost) with a 19# spring because he said he preferred heavier, revolver-like weight. My grandson has no trouble with the 18#. He's 14 today ....
- Robert

culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Tell him Happy Birthday!