still heavy after replacing hammer spring with 18 # wolff

Info, pictures, advice...
zoics

still heavy after replacing hammer spring with 18 # wolff

Post by zoics »

new to the forum

my p64 has a round hammer made in 72

i replaced the stock hammer spring with 18 # wolff hammer spring for the second time (received replacement spring from wolff) but it did not make any difference in trigger pull, does
someone has experienced the same or explanation of the matter? 

thanks in advance
Last edited by zoics on January 24th, 2016, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: still heavy after replacing hammer spring with 18 # wolf

Post by Ketchman »

What are you hoping to change? Trigger pull?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
zoics

Post by zoics »

trying snd hoping to improve and reduce da trigger pull.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I'm not sure what you're looking for. The spring originally in the gun measures around 25-30 pounds pull weight! It is extremely difficult to pull and that's why the Wolff replacements are there.

I started out with the 17# spring and had no problems. Light strikes were an issue, I was told, and sure enough one (a '62) started having light strikes. To not risk it happening in the other pistols (which didn't have any issues) i just went up to the 18# spring in all of my P64s. The pull is a bit stiffer than my Glocks 18# vs 5# so yes, the P64 will never have an extremely light DA pull.

But when you consider that it goes to around 3.5# in SA, I don't know that you'd WANT anything much lighter to start. Yes, the pulls seem waaaaay out of proportion, IMO, but that's the way it goes.

So, are you saying your DA trigger pull is very hard or just harder than you'd like? Or are both DA and SA weights heavy? If that's the case, I'd take it down and look at how the parts (trigger, trigger bar and other interfaces in the trigger parts fit and are lubricated. If something is skewed crooked just a bit, rubbing the grip or frame or not making proper contact you might see something. Use a flashlight....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
zoics

Post by zoics »

thanks ketchman and robhic for your insights

SA pull is very nice but DA is almost impossible to pull in spite of the 18# hammer spring by wolff replacement . All I wanted is for me (to be able to physically) pull the trigger in DA, I don't think I have extream weak fingers.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

zoics wrote:thanks ketchman and robhic for your insights

SA pull is very nice but DA is almost impossible to pull in spite of the 18# hammer spring by wolff replacement . All I wanted is for me (to be able to physically) pull the trigger in DA, I don't think I have extream weak fingers.
These were originally designed to be use with Mil-Spec sub-machine gun ammo that had very heavy/hard primes to prevent strike fire run aways. So the hammer was made with the force and leverage to hit the primer extra hard. Due to this we are left with few options in lightening up the trigger pull.

If the trigger pull is an issue for you then get some snap caps to protect your firing pin, and practice your DA pull. You will get better/stronger at it while breaking in the spring. If it's still an issue then maybe the DA is not the best option for you with this pistol.

If you decide to go with SA only, again use snap caps and practice that as well.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

zoics wrote:thanks ketchman and robhic for your insights

I'd revisit the "something rubbing" or crooked/out of whack. Take off the slide hold-back lever (watch that little spring!) and take a light to look inside at the trigger inside. It might be binding or the spring might be screwed up. Something rubbing/out of alignment because with a Wolff replacement (I've tried the 17, 18, 19) and while not "easy" to pull, they're 75% better than the original. Not to embarass you but I bought one each for my 2 grandsons and while he's recoil sensitive, the 13 year old has no problem pulling the 18# trigger.

So look closely for a bind and lube things well.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I would agree with robhic and make sure that something is not binding. Yes the DA pull on these is stiff but not impossible, especially with the 18# spring in. Did you try the DA pull with the stock spring in and then compare to the 18#? If your pull is as hard as your telling us then I think there is an issue other than simple spring rates going on here. And if there is a bind then there is something not working correctly and just lubing it, while it may make the pull easier may not be all that is needed to solve the problem.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I practice DA pull, followed by the SA. You have to be careful that the follow up shot is conyrolled, because it is so lite!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
drummer

Post by drummer »

I replaced mine with the 18 lb Wolff as well and didn't feel much difference with it compared to the original spring with a DA trigger pull. The switch did make the SA very light.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

drummer wrote:I replaced mine with the 18 lb Wolff as well and didn't feel much difference with it compared to the original spring with a DA trigger pull. The switch did make the SA very light.
:?: :?: :?: The gun comes with an approximately 30# trigger pull! It won't register on most "normal" trigger pull gauges. I'm not sure what was used but it's above 28-30 lbs. stock. Granted, the Wolff 18# spring is still a good pull (as is the 17#), but NOwhere near the original. There has GOT to be a bind, misalignment or something mechanical causing your woes. Lack of lube (sparingly!) in the right places could help but there should be NO confusion between the original and a Wolff replacement. Are you sure it is the 18# and not the 19 or 20# spring you used? Because I'm about outta ideas without seeing it. :(
- Robert

Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:
drummer wrote:I replaced mine with the 18 lb Wolff as well and didn't feel much difference with it compared to the original spring with a DA trigger pull. The switch did make the SA very light.
:?: :?: :?: The gun comes with an approximately 30# trigger pull! It won't register on most "normal" trigger pull gauges. I'm not sure what was used but it's above 28-30 lbs. stock. Granted, the Wolff 18# spring is still a good pull (as is the 17#), but NOwhere near the original. There has GOT to be a bind, misalignment or something mechanical causing your woes. Lack of lube (sparingly!) in the right places could help but there should be NO confusion between the original and a Wolff replacement. Are you sure it is the 18# and not the 19 or 20# spring you used? Because I'm about outta ideas without seeing it. :(
These are not always in stock condition when people get them. They are surplus guns! These people could have gotten them with a 19 or 18 pound spring already installed. Then switch the spring and of course you won't feel a difference.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
zoics

Post by zoics »

contacted wolff about my spring and they have sent me another #18 hammer spring but has no effect on the da trigger. i will check for any misaligned or out of wack parts this weekend. thank you all for your replies.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Are you sure your replacing the correct spring? The hammer spring has EVERYTHING to do with the DA pull weight. It is THE spring that is being compressed in DA mode.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

zoics wrote:contacted wolff about my spring and they have sent me another #18 hammer spring but has no effect on the da trigger. i will check for any misaligned or out of wack parts this weekend. thank you all for your replies.
Maybe look over these documents, and make sure you have ALL the required parts in the correct place.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1536

I don't think you ever stated where you got this P-64 from. Is returning it for an exchange or refund an option??

Also as I stated above; these are surplus guns, you don't know what if any mods may have been done by the previous user/owner. If it had already had an 18 lb hammer spring, then of course you won't feel a difference.

If all is well mechanically with this P-64 then maybe you just need to break in the spring using snap caps.
Weasel