Slide recoil spring

Info, pictures, advice...
bjzajac

Slide recoil spring

Post by bjzajac »

I put in a new slide spring (recommended 22 lbs.) into my P 64. The slide is now almost impossible to pull back to chamber a round or to do anything else norma with the slide. What should I do?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Slide recoil spring

Post by Curly1 »

Try using a pair of gloves to get a better grip.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I went to a stronger spring and felt no difference in felt recoil. The original spring will support the slide in recoil well enough.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have found the 20lb spring to assisst with positive loading, help soften recoil and hopefully lessen frame battering and still have a slide I can rack without causing a hernia.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Some folks point out that in a self defense situation you won't have any trouble racking the slide or handling the recoil.
I do practice the SA shot, after the tough DA first shot, to negate the quick follow up .

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

Does anyone know what the original tension of the P 64's slide spring is? Thank you!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

bjzajac wrote:Does anyone know what the original tension of the P 64's slide spring is? Thank you!
18 lbs is the standard on the Original springs.

https://www.gunsprings.com/POLISH%20/cID1/mID49/dID196
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

bjzajac wrote:I put in a new slide spring (recommended 22 lbs.) into my P 64. The slide is now almost impossible to pull back to chamber a round or to do anything else norma with the slide. What should I do?
I'm gonna go with "anything else normal" as removing the slide for cleaning. If you look at the original spring from the gun you'll notice that the ends of the recoil spring are ground FLAT. If you didn't do that to your 22# replacement, besides the extra weight, the spring needs to be ground flat or removing the slide will ALWAYS be a major chore.

Also, the ends of the spring are NOT the same diameter. I'm guessing you know this but will repeat just in case: The smaller/tighter end of the spring goes on first with the larger end up front by the muzzle. If not, that can contribute to problems. Why did you put in a 22# spring anyway? Just curious.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

18 pounds. Thank you very much!
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

As per a Youtube recommendation, I put in a 22-pound slide spring, which now appears to be too much tension. I will remove it and replace with the original 18 pound.
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

I replaced the original 18-pound slide spring, and the P-64 now operates much better. Thanks to all!
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

I just replaced the hammer spring with an 18# spring from Wolff. The double action pull is amazing, but the single action is a little light. I bought the 18, 19, and 20# hammer springs so I might try them all to see which is best. The recoil spring is another thing. Having read that the 22# spring would reduce felt recoil I bought one to try it; I cannot get the slide back on with it in place and I'm a fairly strong guy since I weight train, and have strong hands as well due to their daily use in my profession as a locksmith. I've stopped trying because I had this sudden epiphany that if I did manage to get it on, finally, it might never come off again. The question: should I just use the factory original (I'm leaning that way), or should I contact Wolff and request a 20# spring? What are some of the experiences people here have had regarding the recoil spring? Thanks in advance for your answers.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I use factory original and train!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Did you grind the end of the recoil spring flat like the factory spring?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Curly1, I didn't grind the ends. It sure seems too tight regardless. I might opt for the 20# or keep the original, though I wouldn't lose much if I did grind the 22# spring down since it was only about $7.00. One thing I love about the P64 is its ease of disassembly. I don't want to lose that feature. Thank you for your input to my question.