P-64 and hollow point ammunition

Info, pictures, advice...
bjzajac

P-64 and hollow point ammunition

Post by bjzajac »

Does the P-64 have any problems firing hollow point ammunition?
chestertnted

Re: P-64 and hollow point ammunition

Post by chestertnted »

I use HCD and no problem. Try different brands till you are sure it is reliable.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Hornady XTP HP 95gr and FTX HP 95 gr but with the red polymer insert both work fine in my P-64s. Albeit a bit more expensive (like $17/box of 25) but worth it, IMO.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

I use PPV hollow points with very good reliability. And I've fired a couple thousand rounds through my P64 since I acquired it a little less than a year ago.
No feed or eject problems whatsoever.
The only concern I've had with ammo, has been the perceived "swelling" in the cases that lines up with the lower ramp-up of the chamber.
I've brought it up on this board previously, and it seems to be something that's inherent to the P64, and can be amplified depending on the power of the ammo being shot, and the softness of the brass in the casings.
PPV seems to be a known culprit for this condition, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse with added quantity or rounds sent down-range.
It's just a consistent "smile" partially circling the casing near the lip.
I don't usually shoot hollow points in quantity during practice rounds, but I found a really good deal on bulk orders from SGAmmo. So I'm comfortable knowing that my practice shooting is with the same ammo as what I use for self defense.
I was using Wolf JHPs, in steel case, but I got concerned that the high quantity of steel running through the pistol might eventually takes its toll in wear and tear.
Thoughts?
Attachments
Swollen Shells.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

This pistol was born to shoot steel cased ammo so there should be no worries there. And I have shot all the hollow point ammo brands I could find from steel case polymer coated and lauqer coated to steel cased zinc coated and brass cases and this little baby has eaten every single one without fail. Not once. I cannot complain about that kind of reliability record. I wish the Kimber that I once owned had been that good.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
4rum

Post by 4rum »

Very good info everyone. I'm a P64 'noob' and hungry for do's and don'ts. What ever I ultimately decide to carry in the pistol, I will shoot LOTS of it and recheck for function time to time. I'm a little anal about reliability.
Remember, at the end of the day ... it gets dark.