Slide replacement

Info, pictures, advice...
bjzajac

Slide replacement

Post by bjzajac »

How does one normally replace the slide on the P 64? I have great difficulty in getting the slide to mesh with the pistol's frame. Thank you.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Slide replacement

Post by robhic »

There are a few YouTube videos that might help. But basically what you need to watch for is the recoil spring HAS to be flat at each end! If you're using replacement springs from Wolff ya gotta do it yourself because the springs are round at each end (The originals are not if you look at them) Also, there is a right and wrong way to put the spring on. One end is more snug around the barrel than the other. Tight end goes first, looser end is up front by muzzle end.

Once you get your (ground flat) spring on (properly oriented), you put the slide on and pull it back HARD and downward a bit so it will engage then let it go forward and that should do it. Notice I said "should" because sometimes those suckers just won't co-operate! :x Make sure the slide hold-back lever is down and in as much as possible. No mag in the gun. No pin(s) sticking out and then just try and try. It'll go on but could take a few tries. I've had to do it - I'm sure all have had to at some time. GOOD LUCK!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Also make sure when you are mounting the slide that the slide stop on the left side of the frame is flush up to the frame.

I have had problems when it isn't seated flush. Just push on it with your thumb to make sure it is seated and then I mount the slide.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
bjzajac

Post by bjzajac »

Thanks very much. I will give it a try! :)
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

The slide stop must be manipulated, and it is hard to pull that spring back,!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."