Got Mine Yesterday

Info, pictures, advice...
4rum

Got Mine Yesterday

Post by 4rum »

My P64 arrived in the mail yesterday. From what I've read it is about typical. I chose to purchase a standard grade first. I may pick up a 'hand picked' later. I dealt with Classic Firearms. $229 but they do supply one extra magazine. Out of the box, I'm pleased with the pistol overall. It's the size I was looking for for a carry piece. Appears to be in good shape with the wear on the bluing about what I expected.

I probably won't get a chance to try it until tomorrow. I found some Wolf Military Classic to run through it. I'll be picking up more ammo as I find it.

I'm very pleased with my purchase and with Classic. They really took good care of me and added little personal touches that I wish more vendors would do.
Remember, at the end of the day ... it gets dark.
Brno

Re: Got Mine Yesterday

Post by Brno »

Congrats on your purchase! Thanks for sharing your initial observations. Let us know how it shoots.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I don't know if they have Academy Sports and Outdoors by you but they carry 9mm Makarov ammo here in Louisiana. I also buy a LOT online from http://www.sgammo.com/ who generally has the best prices I've found (yes, I've compared) for 9Mak ammo when you get 250, 500 rd boxes. He has all the steel-cased stuff plus the more expensive Hornady XTP and FTX which would be a better choice should you use the new P64 for defensive purposes.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

You can also get it from Sportsmansguide.com which usually has it in stock and if your a member of the buyers club you get 10% discount on everything. And they are a real pleasure to deal with.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Congrats on your purchase. It will probably not be your last P-64, and definitely not your last 9×18! Order your Wolffe spring kit, and some kind of grip sleeve and you are set.
I order my ammo from Bulkammo.com. They have the full range from inexpensive Russian steel to more expensive Brass.
Have fun!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Show us some pics, congrats.

"You can also get it from Sportsmansguide.com which usually has it in stock and if your a member of the buyers club you get 10% discount on everything. And they are a real pleasure to deal with."

Ammo was 5% discount the last I knew and everything else 10%.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
drummer

Post by drummer »

Congratulations. I love mine.
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

Sportsmans warehouse in my city almost always has 9x18 ammo for 14.99 a box of 50
4rum

Post by 4rum »

Thanks everyone for the responses, especially the tips on locating ammo. I'll be checking those resources over the next few days. I do plan to add the spring kit and grip sleeve.
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

i had the spring kit on my p-64 and took it off i did not like it but my wife likes it on hers
4rum

Post by 4rum »

Thanks for your input valetnlv. I plan to put some rounds through it before I make any modifications. Weather took a turn for the worse here today. I may have to take the Ladyrum to the grocery store. It's killin' me not to burn a little powder with the new toy though.
Last edited by 4rum on January 6th, 2016, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
4rum

Post by 4rum »

Finally got the chance to shoot my P64 yesterday.

First impression... OUCH! Little sucker kicks up in th' traces a little. I measured off 10 yards then shot (single action) three rounds, right hand barricade (off of a porch post). The ammo is Wolf, Military Classic, 95 gr. FMJ. Fire and function were flawless. The empties were thrown, forcefully, across the porch and bounced off the wall, again forcefully.
Recoil was impressive to say the least. The thin grip chopped into the web of my hand between my thumb and triggerfinger with decided authority. The resulting ... ahem ... group? was less than desired, but I will try other ammo. The reaction from my woodpile/backstop was VERY desirable. I'll restack some of it today.
This is NOT a negative post about the P64. I was pleased by the power of the little gun and the 9mm Makarov caliber (hadn't shot it before in anything). I did not buy this pistol for a range gun or plinking. I bought it as hopefully a good carry piece. I am well satisfied with this piece for this purpose!
The overall size and thin configuration of the little auto is just what I was looking for. The round is not a world beater, but I think it may be adequate for the purpose I intend. The recoil will not be a factor for this purpose, now that I'm aware of it. Single action, the trigger pull is manageable. I'll shoot this pistol quite a bit more before I gain the confidence to depend on it. I need to feel that it will perform should I ever have to call on it. I won't enjoy shooting it. It hurts. Again, for the purpose I bought the gun for, I'll suffer through it. I do think I'll find ammo that shoots tighter. I'll read more (here) and shoot more to decide on what will be loaded in the mag when 'on the job'. I'll also be looking (here) for slip a slip on grip and a good choice of holster.

About 3 1/2"
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waist-belt-OWB- ... Sw3ydVx87P
This is the holster i use , i got it from a different seller at a lower price in the USA. Great holster
4rum

Post by 4rum »

WOW! That is some kinda nice! I was thinking of an inside the waistband. I may go for one like this instead.
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-OWB-gun-ho ... 1384676841

Better price on this one. I love these