Springs

Info, pictures, advice...
Merlin

Springs

Post by Merlin »

Why do wolf recoil Springs have to be ground when they are made for the p64?
Also what weight recoil spring is recommended? Replaced the hammer spring which fixed that 200 lb da pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Springs

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Some times it is hard to get the recoil spring on and off it the end isn't ground flat like the stock spring.

I got mine with the 22lb spring installed and encountered problems with the mag disconnecting on the last round.

Went back to the stock spring and had no problems.

I didn't feel any recoil difference going back to the stock spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I never felt a difference with a heavier spring either. But it seems most do.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I've seen (and own) other guns that have the ends of the recoil spring ground flat, also. Why? No idea. But I GUARANTEE it'll make a difference in the ease of taking the slide off. I first didn't grind the new 18# spring and it was tough. Ground the ends and it was 100X easier. I also had the problem with a 20# spring I used because the gun wouldn't go into battery every once in a while. Heavier spring fixed that but I needed to get a younger and stronger friend to take off the slide so I could grind the ends of the 20# spring. FIXED. It's just "one of those things". :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mwt

Post by mwt »

Wish I had read this thread before attempting to install the 20# spring in my p64. I had already installed the 18# hammer spring and could not get the slide to go back on with the new recoil spring. Thought I had gotten something out of place when I installed the hammer spring. Finally decided to grind just tiny bit off one end of the spring and it worked.

Wolff really should warn folks that this might be necessary.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Wolff should make the springs to factory specs.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:Wolff should make the springs to factory specs.
+1 I thought I read a while back one of the members here had talked to Wolff about this and they agreed it should be done and they were gonna start doing it? Wha happened?! It IS quite an improtant step.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke