Problems with original grips and rear of barrel

Info, pictures, advice...
johnnycuredents

Problems with original grips and rear of barrel

Post by johnnycuredents »

I just bought a P-64 (1971 marked on the slide). The rear of the barrel on the ejector side appears to have a small notch deliberately cut into the back face of the chamber [i.e. it's smooth about where the nose of an expended casing would pass]. Is this deliberate? I have looked at online photos of other P-64s but I can't make this feature out. Also, the front edge of the grip on the ejector side is not flush with the metal of the pistol as is the grip on the other side; it sits about the width of a large paper clip off the metal the whole leading edge while the back seems to mate completely with the grip from the other side and the metal of the beaver tail at the top. Any idea what the problem could be here? Finally, I'd welcome some suggestions about how to clean away all the grease the thing is packed in.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Problems with original grips and rear of barrel

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Johnny.

I have used Kerosene to clean up cosmo and grease.

The notch in the chamber is normal and you may see bulging on brass case ejections due to the case not having support on that side.

IIRC there are old posts discussing the chamber notch if you do some searches.

Have you taken the grips off and reseated them. I Have the marschals wood grips and you can install them and have a gap if you don't get them just right.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
johnnycuredents

Post by johnnycuredents »

Thanks, Curly, for info on the notch and getting off the cosmoline. I fooled with the grips a looooong time today and finally figured out how to line them up correctly. Whoever attached them before I got the gun (in Vt? in Poland?) had simply neglected to lodge the top of the right-hand side grip correctly under the metal. Once I did that, they snapped into place.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Cool, glad you got it worked out like I said I have to fool with the wood grips every time I have to put them back on.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary