Carrying P64 w/ 1 in the Chamber, Hammer Dropped, Safety On

Info, pictures, advice...
poop_log

Carrying P64 w/ 1 in the Chamber, Hammer Dropped, Safety On

Post by poop_log »

Assuming the P-64 is in proper working order, is it safe to carry the P64 with a round in the chamber, hammer dropped, and the safety on? I understand that the pistol is not drop safe.

Thanks
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Carrying P64 w/ 1 in the Chamber, Hammer Dropped, Safety

Post by Curly1 »

That's how I carry mine.

Welcome to the forum Poop.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

Take the slide off and move the safety back and forth and you'll see it has a hammer block that keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin. I still point it in a safe direction when decocking with a round in the chamber since mechanical things can malfunction.

Just my newbie 2¢.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC with one in the chamber, and safety on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

SkippySanchez wrote:Take the slide off and move the safety back and forth and you'll see it has a hammer block that keeps the hammer from striking the firing pin. I still point it in a safe direction when decocking with a round in the chamber since mechanical things can malfunction.

Just my newbie 2¢.
I do exactly the same thing. GOOD ADVICE!!! Ya just never know when "Mr. Murphy" will show up ....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
edmundjc

Post by edmundjc »

The hammer block on the P64 is also reinforced on the back (opposite the hammer) side by the machining of the slide itself, so that even if the hammer strikes it hard enough to cause breakage, the hammer block should remain effective, at least long enough for you to discover the failure.

I also take any new pistol to the range and decock it once with each magazine for the first 50 magazines or so. If it doesn't fail during that period you can probably consider it safe to carry chambered. Especially in the case of the P64, given how the decocker works.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

Same here. One in the chamber and the safety engaged to not fire.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

As safe as it's possible to be with a loaded pistol. When the pistol is moved from "Fire" to "Safe", not only does the hammer block come up to prevent contact with the firing pin, the firing pin is physically locked in place. (That's the purpose of that little "tit" on the side of the rear of the firing pin.)
Hutch

Post by Hutch »

My safety is extremely hard to move in either direction At times i need two thumbs to it. Is this typical I have oiled well. Is this normal?
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Hutch wrote:My safety is extremely hard to move in either direction At times i need two thumbs to it. Is this typical I have oiled well. Is this normal?
The safety on some P-64s is pretty balky. What I've found in most cases are burrs on the safety detents and on the detent plunger. Try polishing these out with some emery cloth. I've also found the detent plunger spring sometimes has been bent over and binding in it's channel. Replacement safety detent springs are available on Gunbroker, I'd order several because of the shipping costs.

Though some of the other posters here might cringe at it, I've cut the damaged part of the spring away and things improved drastically. This usually involves shortening the spring about a third of it's original length. The main thing is that after you're done, the safety lever moves to its' position and stays there, but pressure from your thumb moves it to the other position.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

rickn8or wrote:
Hutch wrote:My safety is extremely hard to move in either direction At times i need two thumbs to it. Is this typical I have oiled well. Is this normal?
The safety on some P-64s is pretty balky. What I've found in most cases are burrs on the safety detents and on the detent plunger. Try polishing these out with some emery cloth. I've also found the detent plunger spring sometimes has been bent over and binding in it's channel. Replacement safety detent springs are available on Gunbroker, I'd order several because of the shipping costs.

Though some of the other posters here might cringe at it, I've cut the damaged part of the spring away and things improved drastically. This usually involves shortening the spring about a third of it's original length. The main thing is that after you're done, the safety lever moves to its' position and stays there, but pressure from your thumb moves it to the other position.
Unfortunately, the badly stuck ones can seemingly only be remedied by taking it out and cleaning, a little sanding or file work and (yes, I've done it too and it works!) trimming a little - stress LITTLE - as in a coil or 2 from the detent spring (makes it easier to get back together, too...). It will smooth out considerably. Dress the whole assembly with a file or some sandpaper just to clean it up. I also used a file to lightly file the lower end of the top detent hole and top of the lower detent hole (it'll make more sense when you take it apart and look at it :mrgreen: ) so the detent itself will ride in-and-out more smoothly.

If you're not wanting to tackle complete disassembly yet, there's a hole in the end opposite the side with the lever. You can squirt some good oil (penetrating oils are good) in that dead-end space, oil the other side where the lever is and just work that sucker up and down a LOT! Others have done it with some success. You might try that first and then go for the disasssembly if it doesn't do the trick. Good luck.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
poop_log

Post by poop_log »

Good advice in this thread, thank you.

At the range today I pulled the hammer back and then decocked with a round in the chamber (repeated 10x). The gun did not fire each time. Then I tried to pull the trigger with the safety on and the gun did not fire (repeated 10x). It appears that the pistol is safe to carry with a round in the chamber and the safety on.

If i can figure out why the pistol is keyholing (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5885) and fix the issue I think the P-64 will be a great carry gun.