V.04 grip with grip screw

Info, pictures, advice...
tech 1

V.04 grip with grip screw

Post by tech 1 »

Here is the V. 04 grip with screw in place. Grips are nice and tight. Still looking forward to V. 05
Attachments
NCM_0044.JPG
NCM_0043.JPG
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: V.04 grip with grip screw

Post by Ketchman »

How did you figure out where to drill for the screw?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

I placed one side of the original grip on top, lined up the edges, marked the hole with a drill bit, then drilled it through on my drill press.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Damn. No drill press in my tool arsenal. And I am not sure my aim with a hand drill would hit it straight through. :?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Thanx no drill press here either but I can get access to one.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

Ketchman wrote:Damn. No drill press in my tool arsenal. And I am not sure my aim with a hand drill would hit it straight through. :?
Try drilling one side first, put the grip on the gun. If your hole is lined up OK use the the hole you drilled and the hole in the frame as a guide to drill the other side
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

What a concept!!! Genius! This is why I do not run the world! Or for that matter anything. :(
Tech1 have you ever thought about running for public office and fixing the worlds problems??
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I was thinking of this same dilemma. What I think I'm gonna try is with the grip in place, going up through the mag well with a 90° pick. (Like a straight awl with the end bent. I got a set of 4 different types) Then I'm gonna stick it through the screw hole on either side of the grip hole to mark the inside of he grip. Shouldn't be a big deal to then punch it out and countersink the outside. No drill press here, either. :(

Tech 1 - that looks good! You didn't use the original screw though, did you? Looks like the original nut but phillips screw....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

It's a longer screw but the original nut. Original screw would need a much deeper countersink. I wanted it just below the surface with as much grip material as possible. I cold blued the screw.
ar10ar15man

Post by ar10ar15man »

want to sell the oem screw?
i am lacking a screw and nut
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

ar10ar15man wrote:want to sell the oem screw?
i am lacking a screw and nut
No, I keep all original parts to my guns
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Looking forward to making the purchase on a few of these great designs.
ar10ar15man

Post by ar10ar15man »

thanks for the link...done deal
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

It's a couple months late, but I finally finished modding the ones I received as well.

Instead of using a rotary tool, I just used a razor to shave the material around the trigger mechanism to match the original grips. I also drilled (1/8" I believe) a grip screw hole, and countersunk it with a wood boring bit (to get the countersink flat). As mentioned above, I had to countersink pretty deep since the grip swell is larger on these grips, and I'm using the original screw.

I also shaved a few stray mold/cast lines with the razor, mostly along the bottom where the release tab is.

Everything went together nicely. Without the grip screw, the grips definitely have some room to move around. I noticed that there isn't as much fill between the shoulder at the leading edge and the back as the original grips. This has a pro and a con. The pro is magazines will slide in and out easier (the old grips, if you tightened the grip screw a tad too much, the grips would pinch magazines). The con is that there is less material to hold them.

The grip swell being larger definitely makes it more comfortable, but also makes it slightly bulkier.

The plastic itself seems a bit soft to me. The original grips (over 40 years old) have taken a beating over the years, and still look essentially new. The old plastic is hard and durable. Considering how easy it was to slice chunks of these off (like slicing hard cheese) with a razor, I'm going to guess these won't hold up quite as well.

Overall I think they are neat, and it's great to see some custom parts be made available.
IMG_9777.JPG
IMG_9777.JPG (20.45 KiB) Viewed 9956 times
IMG_9778.JPG
IMG_9778.JPG (39.21 KiB) Viewed 9956 times
IMG_9779.JPG
IMG_9779.JPG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 9956 times
IMG_9780.JPG
IMG_9781.JPG