Carrying my p64 more than I expected

Info, pictures, advice...
SkippySanchez

Carrying my p64 more than I expected

Post by SkippySanchez »

After having the pistol for a couple months now and several range sessions behind me it looks like I'll be packing my p64 more frequently than I thought I would. What a great little gun and very accurate (now that I painted the front sight with a dab of my wife's gold fingernail polish).

One of the threads here led me to Outbags holsters on eBay, another introduced me to jimreeds.com for SD ammo. One other thread that I'm not finding now discussed various opinions on carry condition (#1,2,3,4).

After some consideration, I've opted for a modified condition three: empty chamber, safety off but hammer cocked. This seems to be the most expedient way of getting the gun in the action... rack the slide and game on.

I've carried my 1911 Officer in condition one for years and it will still be my primary carry gun. With the p64 I originally considered round chambered & safety on (condition one) but the safety is fairly stiff -- as it should be, backwards (by 1911 standards) and the difference in the trigger pull between double and single action isn't accuracy friendly with even modest rapid fire/double taps.

Certainly changing to a lighter spring, which I may try, would make double action easier but there is still the inconsistency between the first and second shots. As is, I like the SA trigger just fine.

While I'm not a big fan of "carry rotation," I also like the versatility of the smaller pistol when needed. By the way, the mag release sure isn't conducive to fast reloads, is it?

So, how do you carry yours?

Thanks!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Carrying my p64 more than I expected

Post by Curly1 »

I carry mine with safety on and one in the chamber.

If you do have to put it in action hopefully you will have 2 hands available and not have to be fending someone off while you are drawing.

You can also try drawing and disengaging the safety with your left hand thumb instead of the right.

I find you get more leverage on the safety if done that way.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
SkippySanchez

Post by SkippySanchez »

Curly1 wrote:I carry mine with safety on and one in the chamber.

If you do have to put it in action hopefully you will have 2 hands available and not have to be fending someone off while you are drawing.

You can also try drawing and disengaging the safety with your left hand thumb instead of the right.

I find you get more leverage on the safety if done that way.
Yes, I've used both hands to disengage the safety and it works well. I suppose I'd be using two hands to rack the slide too, huh? It's the DA/SA trigger difference that I don't like, although I know it's the nature of the best. On the other hand I like having that extra round chambered.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very interesting conversation. My EDC is my P-64 as well. I carry with one in the chamber and safety on. Part of my drills is a one handed draw and safety release. Also of course 2 handed. Do lots of dry firing with Mozambique drill, and tactical reload. After a while the muscle memory does take over.
At the range can do the drill, look both ways, do a reload, then do a small step side ways, and repeat. Very helpful work requiring site lines if in an incident.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Safety "on" and one in the pipe as well. Stock springs. Have to practice a lot, safety is backwards from what I'm used to (Maks). Have to thumb the hammer, no way I'm shooting DA with any amount of accuracy. I guess it depends on how close/imminent the threat is.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Regarding ammo. Not familiar with the one you mention but Hornady FTX and XTP 94gr HP works well in all my pistols and is easily found. Just FYI.... Around $17 a box of 25.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke