Grips v.04 range test

Info, pictures, advice...
tech 1

Grips v.04 range test

Post by tech 1 »

Took the p64 with v.04 grips to the range this morning, fired 50 rnds with no trigger reset problems. After 20 rnds or so I was getting back and forth movement. By 50 rnds they were loose. I will probably hit them with the heat gun and squeeze them in to get better clamping of the grip and see if that helps. I think the v.05 will take care of that movement. As far as felt recoil, the p64 is still no fun to shoot and would think v.05 will help there too being a wrap around with finger grooves.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Grips v.04 range test

Post by Curly1 »

That is interesting, I thought my movement was due to grinding off too much but then again I must have put them on and off over a dozen times and did notice they were way easier too put on the last few times.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Tech1,
Was the felt / perceived recoil less using these grips? I have not been to the range with them on yet but I bet it feels less because these grips are a bit wider at the web of the hand.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

Recoil felt about the same, but overall grip felt better. I Tinkered around with the grips and my opinion is that a snap on like this will not stay tight and will keep moving back and forth. If you look at how the grips are made, the front has a edge that slips over the front edge of the frame. That stops forward movement, but the grip screw locks it down so no backward movement. So what I've done soso far is located where the grip screw needs to be and drilled it through. Got my hole lined up now I just need to pick up a nut and bolt to fit. Original is too short. I think Russ's v.05 (wrap around) will fix the movement problem. By design it has too. With all this said I think he's gonna have a descent set of grips to offer when he finalizes them. And Russ, if you need the next proto type tested, I'll take one for the team and test them on my Punisher :wink:
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If you countersink the holes, assuming there is enough material there, the original bolt should work. I will try this as well. I'll plan to give these a go next weekend.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Just to add a bit. I FINALLY got to shoot my "Test P64" with the ver.04 grip. Launched about 75 rds through them without incident. Since last trip out I got my normal skin-web abrasion and it hadn't healed completely, I couldn't test 100% but feel is good. I shot 1 round without my fingerless glove and the pistol sorta rocked the scab. So to prevent further re-damage I donned the glove and finished up.

As mentioned above, there is a minor slop in the grip fit. It didn't hurt performance and didn't get in the way of anything nor affect operation. When I get a few extra minutes I think I'll take a hair dryer and heat the grip, put a bit of squeeze on it and try again. All-in-all very promising and I like it. And DAMN these pistols are accurate! If I didn't know it was me shooting, I coulda sworn it was someone else shooting. Even off-hand I was pretty darn close. ME shooting with one hand is an occasion. Me shooting accurately with one hand is a calendar note for the ages!!! :shock:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

Already tried the heat and squeeze, didn't help. I drilled the grips out and put in a grip screw, now they don't move. Sounds like Russ is settling on v.05, the wrap around. Hopefully we will see them soon to try too.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

tech 1 wrote:Already tried the heat and squeeze, didn't help. I drilled the grips out and put in a grip screw, now they don't move. Sounds like Russ is settling on v.05, the wrap around. Hopefully we will see them soon to try too.
Oh well, sounds like you saved me some time with the hair dryer. After I get a good method figured out I, too, may add the screw and nut back to make it solid. Thanks for the info.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

tech 1 wrote:Already tried the heat and squeeze, didn't help. I drilled the grips out and put in a grip screw, now they don't move. Sounds like Russ is settling on v.05, the wrap around. Hopefully we will see them soon to try too.
Where you able to use the original grip screws?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

No, picked one up from Ace hardware that is longer. Metric size M3. Reusing the oem nut since it's smaller and thinner won't need to counter sink it as deep. Need to cut off a little bit of length, new one is just a little too long.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

How did you find the orientation of the screw hole on the new grips.

Overlay with stocK grips?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary