Stiff safety lever

Info, pictures, advice...
Zebra

Stiff safety lever

Post by Zebra »

The safety on my 64 is very stiff. I have worked it off and on over and over many times, but it doesn't want to smooth out. Anyone else with this issue? Solutions? I'm afraid in a sudden encounter I may hiccup getting it into fire status.
tech 1

Re: Stiff safety lever

Post by tech 1 »

Mine was pretty stiff too, ended up taking the safety out of the slide and polishing the parts. Not the easiest thing to put back together but there is a few good videos on YouTube on disassembly of the slide.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Agree with removal as best and surest way to fix it. However, if you look in the right/hand end (opposite the lever) you'll notice there's a hole in the end/body. Point the 'straw' of some good oil (penetrating type if ya got it) into that opening and let it sit. Also oil the lever end, too. A little lube where the body rubs against the two ridges in the center (firing pin rides between them) and you should have a fighting chance. :mrgreen: Work the lever up & down a bit ( a lot?) and that could do it. When you feel lucky or if this process doesn't work, you can take it out...
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
zardoz

Post by zardoz »

My safety was very stiff. I rounded off the detent and dremeled a more gradual ramp on the safety. It is still slightly stiff, as it should be, but it's easier to flip with your thumb.

Jim
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I used Frog Lube, and worked it back and forth. Much better now. Was frozen when I got it!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

If you want to remove it and Polish the part up, there is a thread Called " made some videos" don't know how to link it up in a post, but watch his videos. He goes step by step on disassembly, and even I was able to get it apart and together again without too much problem.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary