P-64 Grip v.03

Info, pictures, advice...
makczak

P-64 Grip v.03

Post by makczak »

Hi All,
Saw some "Grip", talk again.
Im still working on my next version. https://flic.kr/s/aHskkpSw5n
But here is the latest. You may remember I made a hybrid factory grip with wood inserts awhile back.
Well, I made a master model from it with new checkered inserts with palm swell as well as a backstrap swell. and then used it to make a silicone mold. Then molded some rigid p.urethane grips from it.
So now I have 5, one piece, grips that need beta testing if someone is interested. I really think you'll like it.
I will send the first five to respond, (plus one for the administrator upon request) to my email address, czakp641968@gmail.com with their shipping information, a free sample to evaluate. (please do not ask for a sample if you cannot perform the evaluation) This is to benefit us all.
These are not the final product but are 90% there, fully functional under fire.
In return I would like you to write up your findings on this forum.
Please evaluate: Ergonomics, handling, holster draw , conceal-ability issues, recoil suppression, accuracy and cosmetics. And your general thoughts of what you would like to see. Constructive criticism only please. I am aware of obvious deficiencies. Already working on a finer master model and will make a new mold soon. And having the idea of molding in soft inserts for the palm and back strap into a rigid plastic frame. Or custom wood inserts as well.
There is a few guys out there making nice grips that only address cosmetics. Not ergonomics. This little gun is a favorite of mine and my carry. Thats why I'm trying to improve functionality and reliability.
Let me know what you think. I will not share the "testers", information. Thats up to them.
Talk to you soon,
Russ...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: P-64 Grip v.03

Post by robhic »

I very much am interested in the one-piece aspect of your grips. See my reasoning in the email I've already sent.... :hi:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have sent you an e-mail. I am very interested in being a tester as I carry this gun a bit and have looked for affordable alternative grips for some time.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
makczak

Post by makczak »

Greetings All,
Thanks to all who have volunteered for my grip test. I have all 5 needed for the group at this time. We'll see how the feedback looks in a week or so.
Russ...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Russ, got the V.03 grip you sent today and installed it. No problems but it DID take a bit of twistin' and turnin' to get it to fit. :mrgreen: Once on, seems very stable and snug - even without a screw and nut to retain them. Haven't gotten chance to fire the gun, yet, that will probably be next week.

Initial thoughts: First off, COOL! And I like the way it looks very much. Couldn't get the trigger to pull at first. Grip seemed to rub the trigger-bar a bit but moved and twisted the grip and freed the mechanism so the bar moved and the trigger worked fine. Then I couldn't pull the slide back unless I pulled the hammer back and then it moved without problem. Not gonna blame the grip as that could be "old-man-ism" after a long day which stopped when I grabbed the slide with a cloth and it pulled - no problem. After a while I might get the courage to remove the grip, look for rub marks and sand it down lightly.

My biggest interest was the 'T' seam along the back of the original grips. This one-piece unit seems to do away with this and I like the way it looks but can't say 100% until I shoot it and the web of my hand doesn't bleed from the seam(s) scraping it. All-in-all these are well made, fit well, and look good. I like what I see so far and if the skin-web rubbing goes away I'm voting Russ King of the Forum! Or at least co-King along with Norm Sutton!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Looking promising Russ. Let me know when you have some available, or more for testing. I carry mine most of the year except parts of winter.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Took my "test P64" to the range today. New one-piece grips felt good and got a lot of compliments. I already sent Russ a more detailed email of my findings since he's working on the next version of this prototype. Suffice to say the trigger bar (he's aware of) is a pain due to rubbing. Had to reset the trigger by hand after each shot until around 40 had been fired (did 60+ overall). Any defects noted for future fixing. Other than that, I like the one-piece grip.

Didn't completely fix the rubbing my hand problem :cry: but it was high and closer to the thumb. Might/must be my technique. But it took 30-40+ rounds instead of just 5-10 like the seam of the standard two-piece OEM grips caused. We're moving in the right direction! Right side inside the mag well rubbed the mag release which complicated (coulda used 3 hands ...) mag removal. But other than those fixable issues, Me LIKEE!!!

- Robert

tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

I was supposed to get a set ( #3 on list) guess I got bumped. :(
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

tech 1 wrote:I was supposed to get a set ( #3 on list) guess I got bumped. :(
I was told I was #2 if that tells you anything. Maybe Russ took some of my quick, initial feedback upon receipt and is/was modifying the grip accordingly. If he is, you'll like 'em even better than I do!!! :shock:
- Robert

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I was told I was number 4 on the list and when I last heard he had run out of resin and had scrapped a couple of those he already had done as he was not happy with them. I am eagerly awaiting them like you guys. Can't wait.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

When I initially contacted him - about 1 hour after getting and installing the new grip - I told him the trigger bar rubbed the grip and caused the trigger to stick, requiring manual resetting of the trigger forward. He wrote back that he was aware of that but since the grip is narrow enough to make sanding in some way (at least it is for me...) impossible, he said he was addressing that issue in the next batch. I lubed it and re-installed which fixed it temporarily but the problem came back rather quickly. It was the only thing that irritated me when I tested my "test gun" Tuesday at the range. Not knowing the first thing about the processes involved :cry: I don't know what's involved in fixing this. Re-tooling completely? Other major adjustment? I don't know, but maybe he's fixing that aspect before sending any others out. But believe me, if he gets it right, it'll be worth the wait!!!
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 Robert, I have the same issue with the trigger bar sticking.

Spent a lot of time with the dremal getting it to function but it caused other problems with the grips shifting back and up at the top when changing mags and removing the safety with the right hand which resulted in the trigger bar not working until the grips were reseated.

I have not done a range test yet, but agree that if this problem can be worked out these grips are a home run.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Got an email from Russ today and a new improved version is on it's way for testing.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Same here. Can't wait for them to get here.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Well mine finally got here late last week. Fit and feel was awesome, a line drive headed for the upper deck. But the trigger bar was rendered out of service from pressure. The hammer cannot be manually cocked either so no range trip either unfortunately. If and when the trigger bar interference problem is fixed, and I know it will get fixed, these will be that line drive as it goes over the wall into the upper decks, a huge home run. :mrgreen: