What is a good year to have ?

Info, pictures, advice...
gilmaxter

What is a good year to have ?

Post by gilmaxter »

Now the only p-64 Is from 1977 and I love it a very amazing firearm. And according to the information this is the last year they were made but is that the best year to look for for buying a p-64.

If not what is , I am just curious to know what year to look for in case I see one for my second . p-64 :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: What is a good year to have ?

Post by papabear »

gilmaxier,

“Comme ci, comme ca”, I haven't heard of a bad one yet, some have had a few issues but nothing that a simple fix could solve the issue. I've had 5 from the early days dating from '69 - '72 and no issues, and for me no springs changes either but for some spring changes have made a difference.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Never heard of a bad year myself!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I've got a 68 (w/rounded hammer), 3 - 75s w/triangular hammer and a 77 w/triangular hammer. All have been pretty much issue-free. Except for some problems with the slide hold-back lever in one of the 75s that some grinding of the slide fixed (fairly long thread on that adventure) I'm pleased with all.

I refurbished 2 - 76s w/triangular hammer and a 72 w/rounded hammer for a friend (gunsmith as a favor for him to sell) but didn't shoot them. They looked really nice and clean so unless he shoots them and has a problem I'm gonna say no one particular vintage seems better in one way or another over the others.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gilmaxter

Post by gilmaxter »

Ahh okay the reason why I asked is because I heard that some internal parts were changed after 72 and I do not know if before or after 72 are the ones I should look for or get but it seems any year is a good year which is nice to know. :)
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

If it functions reliably it's a winner.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:If it functions reliably it's a winner.
Yep, going "BANG!" when I pull the trigger and chambering another round reliably seem like pretty good criteria in my book. :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
cavtrpr340

Post by cavtrpr340 »

P64.JPG
My P-64 is dated 1973 have fired 200rds of fmj with no problems. Buying all these old com. bloc. handguns has become habit forming!