Hey NORM!!! Mag Springs

Info, pictures, advice...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Hey NORM!!! Mag Springs

Post by robhic »

Just wondering. Not that I need them at this time (others might) but can you, could you make magazine springs for the P64 mags? Wolff doesn't have them, although they have them for a larger Polish Makarov 9mm pistol. Can you turn your magical spring-making skills to the making of mag springs :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Hey NORM!!! Mag Springs

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:Just wondering. Not that I need them at this time (others might) but can you, could you make magazine springs for the P64 mags? Wolff doesn't have them, although they have them for a larger Polish Makarov 9mm pistol. Can you turn your magical spring-making skills to the making of mag springs :mrgreen:

What other "Polish Makarov 9mm pistol" are you referencing? They don't have any springs for the P-83 at all, and that is the only other production "Polish Makarov 9mm pistol" that I know about.

Also I think the Makarov Magazine Springs can be trimmed and modded to fix a P-64 Magazine if needed.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

All I know is, I was told the Bersa .380 magazines fit the Makarov! I have not been able to confirm.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

How about the PPK mag spring?
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Unfortunately I do not know!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:What other "Polish Makarov 9mm pistol" are you referencing?
I just looked and my post was a bit misleading. I originally ordered (don't really know what made me do this...) magazine springs for a "RADOM 1935 Polish 9mm". Does that sound even close to a P64? Don't have any idea what I was thinking when I ordered those! :shock: I sent them back for a credit as they were too long and quite a bit too wide to get CLOSE to fitting a little P64 mag. Live and learn.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:All I know is, I was told the Bersa .380 magazines fit the Makarov! I have not been able to confirm.
It might depend on what model. I have a Thunder 380 and it takes 7 rounds of 9X17 ammunition (380). The P64 takes 6 rounds of 9X19 9mm so the spring might work, but it will be one of those "this might do the trick" type fixes. Know what I mean? I might try just to see but I have a feeling the Bersa spring might be short (front-to-back) because of the shorter cartridge and the rest will be luck. Can't hurt to try. I may do so when I get a few minutes. Thanks for the heads up.
- Robert

chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Well, we all make mistakes

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

robhic wrote:
chestertnted wrote:All I know is, I was told the Bersa .380 magazines fit the Makarov! I have not been able to confirm.
It might depend on what model. I have a Thunder 380 and it takes 7 rounds of 9X17 ammunition (380). The P64 takes 6 rounds of 9X19 9mm so the spring might work, but it will be one of those "this might do the trick" type fixes. Know what I mean? I might try just to see but I have a feeling the Bersa spring might be short (front-to-back) because of the shorter cartridge and the rest will be luck. Can't hurt to try. I may do so when I get a few minutes. Thanks for the heads up.
Really not sure why you are putting out bad information here! I believe you are somewhat confused! The P-64 does NOT take 9X19 9mm! It is NOT SAFE to use the 9X19 9mm, aka: 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum in the P-64.

The P-64 takes 9x18 aka: 9mm Makarov the cartridge is more similar in dimension to the 9X17 aka: .380 ACP. The dimension of these two (9x18 vs 9X17) are so similar that the magazines for pistol models available in both calibers are interchangeable. For example the CZ-82 and CZ-83 magazines are interchangeable (the round itself however is NOT). So yes the springs from the Bersa .380 magazines would likely fit better than you are suggesting. The (front-to-back) fit would not be that bad, and would probably match up, again I think you are confusing your cartridges.

robhic wrote:
Weasel640 wrote:What other "Polish Makarov 9mm pistol" are you referencing?
I just looked and my post was a bit misleading. I originally ordered (don't really know what made me do this...) magazine springs for a "RADOM 1935 Polish 9mm". Does that sound even close to a P64? Don't have any idea what I was thinking when I ordered those! :shock: I sent them back for a credit as they were too long and quite a bit too wide to get CLOSE to fitting a little P64 mag. Live and learn.
Again a case of confused cartridges; The "RADOM 1935 Polish 9mm" aka: Pistolet wz. 35 Vis is chambered in the 9X19 9mm, aka: 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum size. It is a legend in it's own right, most well know from use in WWII. It is designed NOTHING like the P-64, although different, it is more similar to the Browning Hi-Power. As we've discussed above the 9x19 cartridge is not even close to that of the 9x18. It is significantly longer, so it comes at no surprise that the width of the spring was too long.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Weasel640 wrote:Really not sure why you are putting out bad information here! I believe you are somewhat confused! The P-64 does NOT take 9X19 9mm! It is NOT SAFE to use the 9X19 9mm, aka: 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum in the P-64.
Weasel, take a breath! I KNOW the Makarov cartridge is 9X18. I mis-typed 9X19. I still don't think the Bersa magazine would fit in my P-64. The spring might fit (haven't had chance to try yet) but I still think I might be a little wary if the Bersa spring is much smaller. I wasn't trying to "put out bad information" - I typed a 9 instead of an 8. I'm not perfect. And I didn't recommend anyone use a standard 9mm Luger round in a P-64 or that it was like a 380. I made an incorrect statement referring to try to use another manufacturer's magazines and/or springs in a P-64. Too much coffee...?
- Robert

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Wolff
makes 380 mag springs , in different length's , that's want you want , then cut to length ,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

culpeper wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4692 This?
That looks like the LARGE RADOM 1935 9mm springs I ordered by mistake. They looked a whole lot bigger than the puny P64 spring. That picture doesn't seem like such a different animal but the spring(s) I ordered by mistake were way too big! I've not seen that before so thanks for posting it.
- Robert

robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

normsutton wrote:Wolff
makes 380 mag springs , in different length's , that's want you want , then cut to length ,

NORM
Thanks, Norm. I've still gotta get time to try and play around with the spring from my Bersa 380 magazine. They look close to the P64 in size but I need to take both apart and compare....
- Robert