Differences in P64s by year.

Info, pictures, advice...
RussianRifleman

Differences in P64s by year.

Post by RussianRifleman »

First time posting on this board,
I recently acquired a decent condition 1970 P64. A friend of mine has a 1973 model. I've been looking over the internet and it seems that modifications have been made to the pistol over the course of its production. Could anybody tell me the differences in features etc. From year to year?
chestertnted

Re: Differences in P64s by year.

Post by chestertnted »

I am not aware of a detailed source. I own a 1974. All I know is they produced 190,000 pistols, last one in 1977.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

The biggest difference (I think) is the older versions have a rounded hammer spur and newer ones have a triangular hammer spur. It's mostly visual, although I think I read that the rounded hammer had a tiny bit longer firing pin (not that you'd notice). I'm not sure when they changed but I think it was around 1972.

Other than visual, I can't think of another difference. I have a couple of 1975's and they have the triangle hammer. I also have a 1968 with the rounded hammer but I've not come across anything else that's different. Perhaps someone else here has more info and can tell you. But that's what I've seen.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very interesting. I have a triangular hammer. Need to investigate.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I believe pre-1970 (?) the magazines are slightly different, and I've read that the newer mags don't work correctly in the older pistols. In other words, something about the slide lockback is slightly different.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

snailman153624 wrote:I believe pre-1970 (?) the magazines are slightly different, and I've read that the newer mags don't work correctly in the older pistols. In other words, something about the slide lockback is slightly different.
Yeah, I do think I saw something regarding the feed lips extending just a tiny bit further out on one than the other. But I can't remember if it was the older or newer ones that had the different length! I'll say that none of my mags' etched number match the pistol like others have reported. That being said, when my grandudes and I go shooting the 3 P64s (including the '68) the mags always get mixed up. (No, I didn't mark them... :oops: ) But I can't say that we've had problems that I've noticed and would think caused by mag issues. So it might not be a big deal.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

None of the mags numbers match the gun on mine, or anybody I know.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
herr mario

Post by herr mario »

....my '72' has a rounded hammer...
...typical bitter clinger...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

chestertnted wrote:None of the mags numbers match the gun on mine, or anybody I know.

One of the 2 mags that came with mine has matching numbers.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

You are very fortunate. I wonder why more do not match!
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

I've wondered if the mags are truly number matched to their pistols at the manufacturer.
The numbering on the mags are done merely by electro-pencil engraving by hand, and while the pistol I picked up earlier this year from AIM had 1 "matching" mag and one spare with a different number, I am somewhat skeptical of who may have done the engraving, and whether it's more of a forced-match situation that happened later in its life.
I'd like to believe that I own a fully matched set, but I'm not convinced.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very few people have matched numbers. It does not affect price at all.

GunnyK

Post by GunnyK »

My 74' has a rounded hammer.
rking1960

Post by rking1960 »

I just shot my P64 today after owning it for 3 or 4 months. It stove piped maybe 5 times out of about 85 rounds or so of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ. It has 2 magazines with it and I noticed that it was the same mag every time it stove piped. The mag that does it has shorter feed ears on it than the other. My P64 is a 1970 with the round hammer spur. It shoots pretty accurate, I have to say that the sights on there are really small and I'm more used to Glock type sights with the 3 dots. I really had a time getting those small sights in focus but if I was defending myself it would be more point and shoot, and it's plenty accurate enough for that.

There was one other failure to fire as it just didn't go off. I recocked the hammer and it fired on the second strike. I guess it was just a bad primer in the shell since the dents looked good in all of the spent brass.

apparently the magazines with the shorter ears aren't for the 1970 model and the longer feed eared ones are.

Does anyone know the magazine specs?
Attachments
This picture is from a seller on ebay who has both kinds for sale, but you must tell him which one on the order.
This picture is from a seller on ebay who has both kinds for sale, but you must tell him which one on the order.
Last edited by rking1960 on October 4th, 2015, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

My 1971 has a round hammer and was fine with everything I fed it. Try a couple different types of ammo. Hornady Critical Defense was fine in mine.