Differences in P64s by year.

Info, pictures, advice...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Differences in P64s by year.

Post by robhic »

rking1960 wrote:There was one other failure to fire as it just didn't go off. I recocked the hammer and it fired on the second strike. I guess it was just a bad primer in the shell since the dents looked good in all of the spent brass.

apparently the magazines with the shorter ears aren't for the 1970 model and the longer feed eared ones are.

Does anyone know the magazine specs?
I've got both long and short-eared mags 'cause I have a 68 and some 75 vintage P64s. When shooting with my 2 granddudes, we mix the mags up (no I didn't mark them :cry: ) but we've not really had mag problems. The FTF - could it possibly have been an out of battery condition? I ask because I had that a couple of times with one of my pistols. Also, I paint the rear of that (I agree) tiny front sight with hi-viz yellow fingernail polish.

Now, here's a kicker: Ammo gave me problems. But not so much what you'd expect. I had two versions of steel-cased ammo (Wolf WPA and Silver Bear) the former poly-coated and the latter zinc-plated. No big deal, right? Well, I had one pistol that ate the poly-coated stuff like candy and choked periodically on the zinc-plated ammo! NO ONE can explain it. Go figure... So it might be an OOB or ammo oddball problem, so don't despair!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
rking1960

Post by rking1960 »

I said 85 shots in my post above but it was 90, I counted them since then. I really wasn't going to worry about that one ftf, it could have been a oob condition but I know I didn't try to bump it in before I recocked, I just made sure it wasn't a stovepipe condition again.

I'm going to go shoot it again and pay really close attention and make sure that it's the short eared magazine that's causing the stovepipe problem before I spend @ $45 for a mag on ebay.

I did put the wolff spring kit in it, and if it does the oob thing I'll just put the old slide spring back in, I think it was a little stronger.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I could not really tell the difference with the stronger Wolff spring. Everybody else talks about the differenece. I did not notice.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

rking1960 wrote:I did put the wolff spring kit in it, and if it does the oob thing I'll just put the old slide spring back in, I think it was a little stronger.
What did you use? When mine had the return to battery problem I replaced the 18# original weight spring with a 20# one. Never had that problem again.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
rking1960

Post by rking1960 »

robhic wrote:
rking1960 wrote:I did put the wolff spring kit in it, and if it does the oob thing I'll just put the old slide spring back in, I think it was a little stronger.
What did you use? When mine had the return to battery problem I replaced the 18# original weight spring with a 20# one. Never had that problem again.
The kit only came with one slide spring, and 3 different hammer springs, I installed the new slide spring and the middle one of the 3 hammer springs. It made the gun a lot easier to fire DA, maybe by half.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

rking1960 wrote:The kit only came with one slide spring, and 3 different hammer springs, I installed the new slide spring and the middle one of the 3 hammer springs. It made the gun a lot easier to fire DA, maybe by half.
The slide (recoil) spring is available in 18, 20 and 22 pound weights. Some here love the 22. I don't. I use the 20# spring (as I said above) to remedy the OOB problem. That extra 2# increase over the 18# original weight spring seemed to do the trick for me.
- Robert

rking1960

Post by rking1960 »

SKU QTY DESCRIPTION UNIT PRICE ($) TOTAL PRICE ($)
53422 1 POLISH P64 9x18MAK XP RECOIL SPRING 22LB 7.89 7.89
32358 1 POLISH P-64 9x18 MAKAROV RP HAMMR SPRING PAK 9.00 9.00
Subtotal ($) 16.89
SHIPPING & HANDLING ($) 3.99
WV 0.00% Sales Tax ($) 0.00

Order total ($) 20.88

I just copy and pasted the order confirmation email from when I bought the springs. It was dated 3/28/15 so I've had that gun longer than I thought!

Looks like I got the 22lb slide/recoil spring
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

rking1960 wrote:Looks like I got the 22lb slide/recoil spring
I'd expect that should remedy any OOB problems if you're having them!
- Robert