Noob here with a question

Info, pictures, advice...
SkippySanchez

Noob here with a question

Post by SkippySanchez »

Just scored a nice P64 which appears to function and shoot very well after about 100 rounds of Monarch.

I doubt this will be a regular carry gun but it may find is way into my pocket from time to time once I shoot it some more and test some SD ammo.

My question for those who carry, what condition?

I typically carry a Colt 1911 Officer, always in condition one.

The double action pull on the P64 almost takes two hands, so I'm thinking condition one, fully decocked, is out of the question.

My first guess would be condition one with safety half on, but that seems a bit scary since the safety can be moved rather easily. Downside also is that it moves in a different function than the 1911 safety.

I doubt I would want to carry it without a round chambered.

What say you?

-Skippy
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Noob here with a question

Post by robhic »

First off, there is NO half position for anything. The safety/fire switch is either full 'on' or 'off'. Any half position is just (probably) a bit of tightness of the tension in the pawl that rides on the mechanism before it hits the notch for 'fire' or 'safe'. If you'd take the safety assembly out you'd see just 2 notches. So there's that.

Carrying with one in the chamber with a P64 is recommended with safety 'on' as there are no drop safeties or other safeties but the one, manual safety. It's up to you but there's a thread here someone posted of his pocket (the pistol was pocket-carried) with a large hole in it and also in the floor of his vehicle. It can happen so it's up to you...

Most replace that horrid original hammer spring with a lighter one from Wolff Gunsprings available in 17, 18, 19 and 20 pound varieties. https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pa ... D=1&mID=49

Recoil springs available there, also. Good luck!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I realize I am going to get a lot of flack here, always do over this, but I carry one in the chamber safety off, but never ever in a pocket, always IWB holster. That long hard DA pull is a safety in and of itself, just like all the revolvers that were carried safely by millions for how many years. Just my opinion and we know what is said about opinions................................. :roll:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum

+1 no 1/2 safety option you need to look at why your safety catch is hanging up 1/2 way.

And it's called a safety for a reason, don't use it at the the risk of yourself and bystanders.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC my P64 IWB at 5 o'clock. Spare mag is Ball ammo for penetration. Carry one in the pipe safety on. There is no 1/2 cock as the gentleman above said. Just a slight detent of some sort. Most AD or ND are from people using the 20+ pound trigger pull in DA as a safety. IMO that is a mistake.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."