HERE IS THE ANSWER.

Info, pictures, advice...
allentownernie

HERE IS THE ANSWER.

Post by allentownernie »

After I posted that my slide flew off when shooting my P-64 and after reading the answers I now know what happened. With my senior citizen fingers crooked with arthritis I cannot pull the trigger in double action with my ( forefinger-trigger ) finger. As I was pulling the trigger in double action I used my crooked middle finger and while doing that I unknowingly was pulling down on the trigger guard. Well, Bam, off came the slide. After thinking about this I got my gun and after unloading it I went through the motions that I described and sure enough I was pulling down the trigger guard with my middle finger. So, thats it, nothing wrong with my P-64 just me and my hands. Happy shooting everyone.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: HERE IS THE ANSWER.

Post by Curly1 »

Thanx for the update Ernie.

At least no one was injured and you know the cause of it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Glad you figured it out so it won't happen again. Are you using the original, non-human 25+ lb trigger spring that comes in the gun? Might you want to put a lower weight spring in for the future if you are?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pa ... D=1&mID=49
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
allentownernie

Post by allentownernie »

robhic wrote:Glad you figured it out so it won't happen again. Are you using the original, non-human 25+ lb trigger spring that comes in the gun? Might you want to put a lower weight spring in for the future if you are?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?pa ... D=1&mID=49
Naw, I put in the 18lb spring but a couple of my fingers are crooked and some do not bend at all. For much of my life I have been a hunter and have shot rifles and pistols, Now because of my hands I always try to fire my pistols ( I have five ) in single action. Ernie.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

allentownernie wrote: Naw, I put in the 18lb spring but a couple of my fingers are crooked and some do not bend at all.
Well, that's what I was referring to so you've already taken care of that! Nevermind. :mrgreen:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Curiously, this happened to me with my Mini 14. I'd been holding to much on the guard because my shooting fingers were all blistered up from an argument they lost with a hot frying pan. Next thing you know, the whole rifle falls apart in my hands, the recoil from the shot having begun the process of disassembly.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."