BAD NEWS_NEED HELP

Info, pictures, advice...
allentownernie

BAD NEWS_NEED HELP

Post by allentownernie »

Fellow P-64 owners. I have had my P-64 for 4 or 5 years and have shot it about 100 times. This gun was purchased from J&G and is in excellent cond. Today my wife and I went to my local gun club to shoot a few rounds and get my wife to shoot some rounds from her 32. Beretta. After firing about 20 rounds thru my P-64 the slide blew off. This has me pretty shook up. What the hell could have happened? I replaced the slide in the normal way and did not fire the pistol any more. Can anyone help with some answers as I dont know if I can trust this pistol until I am sure this problem can be corrected. Again, do any of you guys have any answers for me? Thanks in advance. Ernie.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: BAD NEWS_NEED HELP

Post by Curly1 »

Check to see if the top front of the trigger guard that rotates up into the frame is broken off.

The lug that goes into the frame is what keeps the slide from coming off.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4931&p=46750&hilit= ... ard#p46750
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
allentownernie

Post by allentownernie »

Curly, I checked the trigger guard and the lug is not broken off. I could not get the slide to come off with the trigger guard up in place and working the slide by hand. Maybe I did not have the guard all the up in place. I dunno. Everything looks like it is the way it designed to be. I will go to the range soon enough and make sure that the guard is up in the slide when I fire the pistol. Anyway thanks, I now see how it is made to work. Ernie.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Let us know how it works out Ernie.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

Careful with terms like "blew off", the slide comes off the front of the pistol....the only thing it did was recoil off the back of the frame, and spring forward without the trigger guard to stop it. Aside from maybe getting whacked by a flying slide, nothing "blew up" or "blew off", all of the explosion happens before the slide moves back, and stays inside the barrel, which is not integral with the slide like on Browning locked-cam action (i.e. non-blowback) pistols. It's a blowback pistol, parts coming off in the forward direction cannot be "blown off".

With all that said, as Curly stated, this is usually caused by someone not putting the trigger guard back in place before firing, or a defective/broken trigger guard. The former is a facepalm and life goes on. The latter means buying a trigger guard somewhere, like gunbroker.

Hopefully your slide didn't get beat up when it landed, and thanks for sharing your story.