Red dot for safety indicator

Info, pictures, advice...
Pillman

Red dot for safety indicator

Post by Pillman »

Took my new P64 from AIM to the range Saturday and ran 50 rounds through it. The gun looks like it has never been used. I mean not even any handling marks except a few light scratches on the grips that could just be from being moved around in transit. Anyway, the safety lever was really stiff so prior to shooting it I stripped and cleaned it good and oiled the hammer and safety bar. (sorry for the unofficial terminology). I worked the safety quite a bit and it loosened up some. After shooting I cleaned it again and noticed that the red dot that indicates the gun is ready to fire was gone. Anyone ever dealt with this? I guess I'll just get some automotive paint, clean really good with alcohol and repaint. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Red dot for safety indicator

Post by Curly1 »

Was the paint there after you cleaned it?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Caniac92

Post by Caniac92 »

When I received my gun it did not have a red dot on the safety. I swabbed the gun with alcohol and then used testors model paint from amazon and painted it bright green. One little dot with a tooth pick did the trick.
Pillman

Post by Pillman »

Curly1 wrote:Was the paint there after you cleaned it?
No sir it disappeared while shooting. Was there when I received it and after initial cleaning but when I went to clean it after shooting I noticed it was gone. Never had that happen before. Anyway, I'll try the model paint as they should be cheaper and easier to get. Thanks
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That is strange.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

If you put oil on it, and the paint was old/dried out/cracked, it probably fell off.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I had a couple of mine do that, too. Mainly after removing the safety assembly to clean, file and lube, the dots went MIA. :mrgreen: One good thing is that the dot area is recessed so when you put the paint on it's like in a little depression. I had some silver touch-up paint in the bottle for a vehicle and some bright yellow fingernail polish I had gotten to brighten up sights. So, I have 2 pistols with a silver 'safe' dot and 1 other with a yellow one. Just a touch from the brush in the bottle did the trick. Cleaned with alcohol and gave 'em 2 coats each.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Pillman

Post by Pillman »

The auto paint is a good idea. I have some bright yellow (for my son's truck). Hopefully my Wolf springs will be here tomorrow and I'll touch it up after replacing those. Thanks for the input everyone.