Classic has em cheap!

Info, pictures, advice...
kdwright5407

Re: Classic has em cheap!

Post by kdwright5407 »

MinnMD66 wrote:How much does classic arms charge for shipping?
Mine was $14 to Florida for one.
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

robhic wrote:
kdwright5407 wrote:... I'm cool with trying to buff or polish the imperfections out. I'm also good with an ugly gun if it's got good, honest wear and tear. We'll see.
Well, mine was more than "imperfections." It looked like it had set in water for some time. BIG splotches of brown in the otherwise dark blued finish and the safety/fire switch was completely (NO exaggeration!) frozen in the 'FIRE' position. It would NOT BUDGE. Afraid to break anything, I immediately soaked it in 'Ballistol' overnight and disassembled it the next day. No problems, at least. Once apart I filed and sanded and changed springs then lubed. Went together easily and is now completely functional. Except the odd light blue/silver/dark blue finish. :mrgreen:
Hmmm. Now I'm more curious and anxious. I actually enjoy tearing down firearms and cleaning them, so that won't be too much of an issue. Thanks
Pillman

Post by Pillman »

robhic wrote:
kdwright5407 wrote:... I'm cool with trying to buff or polish the imperfections out. I'm also good with an ugly gun if it's got good, honest wear and tear. We'll see.
Well, mine was more than "imperfections." It looked like it had set in water for some time. BIG splotches of brown in the otherwise dark blued finish and the safety/fire switch was completely (NO exaggeration!) frozen in the 'FIRE' position. It would NOT BUDGE. Afraid to break anything, I immediately soaked it in 'Ballistol' overnight and disassembled it the next day. No problems, at least. Once apart I filed and sanded and changed springs then lubed. Went together easily and is now completely functional. Except the odd light blue/silver/dark blue finish. :mrgreen:
What areas of the safety lever do you file to get it to work smoother?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The spring loaded pin under the safety in the frame may be too pointy causing it to hang up. Round it out a little at a time.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Pillman wrote:What areas of the safety lever do you file to get it to work smoother?
Like Curly said, the actual detent piece is bullet shaped. I sand the tip off some to make it a bit more round (and hence thicker). I've also been 1) filing the flat space between the two detent grooves (where the detent "bullet" hits to hold the safety where you move it). And 2) the grooves, themselves, to make them a bit more shallow. The detent bullet doesn't go in so far and doesn't hold so HARD. Finally 3) I snip 1-2 coils off the bottom of the little detent spring so it doesn't exert such force on the detent piece. I started with just steps 2 and filing the detent bullet nose. Gradually went to making the grooves more shallow and cutting the spring (NOT TOO MUCH!!!) and now the 'SAFE'/'FIRE' lever is smooth enough to move with one finger yet stays in place until you move it. I'm thinking of taking the first pistols I did and doing these extra steps to them....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

robhic wrote:
Pillman wrote:What areas of the safety lever do you file to get it to work smoother?
Like Curly said, the actual detent piece is bullet shaped. I sand the tip off some to make it a bit more round (and hence thicker). I've also been 1) filing the flat space between the two detent grooves (where the detent "bullet" hits to hold the safety where you move it). And 2) the grooves, themselves, to make them a bit more shallow. The detent bullet doesn't go in so far and doesn't hold so HARD. Finally 3) I snip 1-2 coils off the bottom of the little detent spring so it doesn't exert such force on the detent piece. I started with just steps 2 and filing the detent bullet nose. Gradually went to making the grooves more shallow and cutting the spring (NOT TOO MUCH!!!) and now the 'SAFE'/'FIRE' lever is smooth enough to move with one finger yet stays in place until you move it. I'm thinking of taking the first pistols I did and doing these extra steps to them....
It would be cool if you could make an instructional video or take a series of pictures walking us dumb new guys thru the process.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

kdwright5407 wrote:
robhic wrote:
It would be cool if you could make an instructional video or take a series of pictures walking us dumb new guys thru the process.
Don't have the equipment for video. And it's not that hard. Rather common-sense. If you get the safety assembly out and then read through what steps I take, you'll easily see what I'm talking about. Reduce the depth/size of the notch the detent fits in when you rotate the safety. File/sand for smoothness and fit. Take the pointy tip off the detent piece to make it wider so it rides in and out of the (now) shallower and smaller notches. Cutting the spring (NOT TOO MUCH!!!) reduces friction of detent and notch, lube is lube and when you look at the assembly I promise it'll be a "Oh, I see!" moment. :mrgreen: Just be careful because the safety assembly seems to be the most sought-after part and one (if not THE) hardest to find for replacement.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

I need to have the gun in front of me when reading these instructions. Too bad I missed the USPS person today. I was expecting it on Monday, but checked the status at 1230 on my phone while out at lunch with my family, and saw that they attempted to deliver it at 1205. Now I have to wait til Monday.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

kdwright5407 wrote:I need to have the gun in front of me when reading these instructions.
Take a look at the video(s) already provided here by member Junius Taylor. I could NEVER equal his offerings and he shows how to disassemble the pistol. Take a look, I'm not sure how much detail of the safety assy is shown but it should at least give you something to think about. After the piece is out, apply my post's instructions and you'll be surprised! What I did is easy. Wrangling the safety back in can be the headache!
- Robert

kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

Thanks

kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

My lovely wife went and picked it up at the post office today. I'm extremely pleased. All seems to match. The "bidding" was minimal near the import markings...which also looks about normal.
ImageImage
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1437429156464.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

That's not too bad. Great project gun.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

It's much better than I was thinking...I think I'll keep it original. Maybe lighten the trigger pull, if anything. That first pull is a beast.

kdwright5407

Post by kdwright5407 »

Well...took it to the range, but couldn't get it to fire. Don't know why.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary