Range report 6-25-2015

Info, pictures, advice...
spareparts

Range report 6-25-2015

Post by spareparts »

Took four guns to my Indiana property yesterday incl my P64. I'll comment on the others, too, just for fun.

-P64. Ammo: Wolf steelcase 94 gr FMJ. Was trying out the Wolf ammo and four new mags I got from SGAmmo for the first time. First mag was flawless. Second mag cycled all six rounds, then dropped after the last round. This happens on another mag I've got, I'm not too worried. Third mag, I rack the slide and the round jams at the lip of the mag. I can't force the slide forward into battery. Have to take the slide off to clear the jam. Reload the mag, try to rack again, get the same result. Should I file the lip of the mag a bit? Fourth mag, functioned a-ok.

-Ruger SP101 3". Functioned flawlessly. Fired everything I threw at it: Fiocchi .38 spl FMJ and American Eagle .357 wadcutters. I love Ruger revolvers!

-FN SLP MK1. Ammo: Sellier & Beloit 2.75: oo buck. This gun is a piece of junk! Ever since I've had it, every 3rd round or so stovepipes or FTE altogether. Very frustrating! Time to call FN USA, I guess!

-Chinese T53 Moisin Nagant, in Archangel stock. Ok, this is my first time being around the 7.62 x 54r cartridge being ignited. Good Lord! The flash and shock of that round! Packs a whallop, doesn't she? Function was flawless.

3 of my six kids got a rare chance to handle some of daddy's guns, and so did my wife. Much fun was had by all, except the poor sycamore stump we peppered with bullets and buckshot.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: Range report 6-25-2015

Post by robhic »

spareparts wrote:-Chinese T53 Moisin Nagant, in Archangel stock. Ok, this is my first time being around the 7.62 x 54r cartridge being ignited. Good Lord! The flash and shock of that round! Packs a whallop, doesn't she? Function was flawless.
Don't they make a pistol(s) in that caliber? That must be a party to fire off!!! :cry:
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

robhic wrote:
spareparts wrote:-Chinese T53 Moisin Nagant, in Archangel stock. Ok, this is my first time being around the 7.62 x 54r cartridge being ignited. Good Lord! The flash and shock of that round! Packs a whallop, doesn't she? Function was flawless.
Don't they make a pistol(s) in that caliber? That must be a party to fire off!!! :cry:
You are probably thinking of the 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol round.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:You are probably thinking of the 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol round.
That's probably correct. I know about nothing of foreign weaponry until I bought the P-64s I have. I just thought I remembered seeing some kind of 7.62 X ? round and took a chance.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

If you have ever fired the 7.62x54R cartridge in a Moisin Nagant M-38 or M-44 carbine or the Chinese T53 carbine you would NOT want to fire that round in ANYTHING lighter. It does indeed pack a Wallop. Love my M-38(s). And you should launch a round at dusk, the fireball is godawfull but REALLY cool. :shock:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

robhic wrote:

Why yes, it has been attempted...

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I wonder how many times the owner / creator of those has actually pulled the trigger on a live cartridge? Shooting those must be an excercise in restraint!
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
spareparts

Post by spareparts »

My P64 was lonely and jealous yesterday. Didn't take her out. But I did take out my fn slp again and my new pa63. I replaced the breacher choke with an improved modified and it ran just fine. Choke must have something to do with providing back pressure to the gas piston is only thing I can guess.

Then the pa63. Flawless. Good pistol! I've heard people say it hurts their wrist. I handled it fine. I am addicted to combloc guns. Got my p83 recently too, haven't fired it yet. Anybody got any eXtra mags they can spare?