P-64 Breach Block Deformation

Info, pictures, advice...
Joeinthehills

P-64 Breach Block Deformation

Post by Joeinthehills »

P-64 Breach Block

Among several P-69's I noticed a distinctive feature that the used pistols exhibit a mauling of the breach block.

It would appear that the extractor is actually causing the cause by going to forward to actually cause indentations in the fixed breach block over time?

The extractors in question do NOT exhibit any deformation to the eye, as if that they have been replaced by newer ones so that eliminates the problem.

I wonder if there is a problem inherit with the P-64's extractor??? Or is this something that a owner can correct before the breach block is totally destroyed?
herr mario

Re: P-64 Breach Block Deformation

Post by herr mario »

...I dont know if there is an inherent problem,but I concur about the mauling....I purchased one recently-a 1972 in very nice condition,but exactly as you described...it seems its actually slightly .peeled back' from impact...but being a "newbie"with these I dont know squat
...typical bitter clinger...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I hate to appear stupid but I'm having trouble visualizing just what you're describing. Are you referring to the notch where the extractor fits when the slide goes into battery? There was another thread where someone was asking about some ragged edges and if they were normal. I, and some others, had said ragged edges on the barrel/breach hood (?) were present but guns still ran fine and I'd never given it a thought until that thread.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I think this is the post of which you speak Rob

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5755
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
herr mario

Post by herr mario »

....THANK YOU for that link-thats EXACTLY what I was referring to...I just very gently took the burr down with a very fine small file....I feel much better now... :wink:
...typical bitter clinger...
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

herr mario wrote:....THANK YOU for that link-thats EXACTLY what I was referring to...I just very gently took the burr down with a very fine small file....I feel much better now... :wink:
Wow! I wish all the problems (and other stuff) could be resolved so simply. Thanks, Curly, for putting up the link. I thought that might be of which he was speaking but wasn't totally sure.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Mine was that way when I got it, causing a few FTE/FTFs. Filed the burr off and it's been working great. Put 400+ rounds through it since without any trouble.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

I feel blessed when it comes to pistol purchases. I bought a Phoenix Arms .22 that a lot of posters at another forum, bad mouth as being pot metal and wont last long before a major problem like frame cracking occurs. I've already shot over 2K HV ammos, and it remains problem free.
Then I got the P64 at AIMs, and it looks pristine, none of those burrs on the breach face or anywhere else. Import marks was nicely engraved, and it only took a few polishing here and there, and she sings and dance just like the high priced PPK. Close to 1K rounds without any issues. This year I bought a Shield 9MM, where most of the complaint was the hard to load mags, and hard to rack slide. Mine was worry free after keeping the mags fully loaded for a few days before her first range trip. Now I can easily rack the slide and load the mags. No need for Maglula.