P-64 Springs -The strongest recoil reduction available?

Info, pictures, advice...
srREXed

P-64 Springs -The strongest recoil reduction available?

Post by srREXed »

Hey all. Im a retired army vet. I've been working on all my certifications for armor and AGI has been my muse. That said my firearms knowledge and Gunsmithing ability is 7/10. I can't make my own weapon out of a block of steel yet but I can assemble and modify anything you put i front of me. So, out of what's redily available for purchase over the counter, what springs are available to reduce the felt recoil of this gun? The first p-64 I've ever owned just made it through a light range duty today, and I want to fix it! Without making my own springs and spending time creating something that's already been done. I have three Wolff kits. They include the magazine combination springs 17,18,19,20# as well as three main recoil springs and firing pin springs. Instead of just picking from the individual Wolff list I got them all in kits form to do some tuning myself. Now tell me what works for you? All I've done is the 19# magazine combination spring which made for a reasonable DA/SA trigger pull. Also, what grips are you guys all using? These dainty plastic jobs have got to go if I want to keep my hand in one piece. 3,2,1.... GO for FNG P-64 Guy. Thanks for reading. -Andrew
MakAttack

Re: P-64 Springs -The strongest recoil reduction available?

Post by MakAttack »

First, thank you for your service! I hope you enjoy the P-64, I sure do. I still have the original springs in mine. Got Zee grips because I wanted the thumb rest. Not sure if he's making them anymore, kind of a home-brew set-up. By far the best accessory for my P-64 has been the Houge Handall (small). I think it was $5. Really grippy and takes the bite out of the recoil.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

None of them reduce felt recoil. You just need to match the spring strength to the ammo you are using to avoid having the slide slam into the stop.

The felt recoil is pretty much determined by the ammo you use.
srREXed

Post by srREXed »

snailman153624 wrote:None of them reduce felt recoil. You just need to match the spring strength to the ammo you are using to avoid having the slide slam into the stop.

That is a joke, no? Are you aware of how firearms work sir? Besides ammunition (which is the first modification anyone makes for their weapon) there are many ways to reduce felt recoil on any firearm. For nothing nice to be said, he shouldn't say it. We don't want anyone following wrong information so please disregard this poster's comment. It is WRONG. Thanks. But that's not helpful. Let's stick to the original post. And keep this thread on track. No negativity please. And let's pretend Im actually an Armorer part time and this is for some helpful ideas. I am not reinventing the wheel here, just some common sense stuff.
srREXed

Post by srREXed »

MakAttack wrote:First, thank you for your service! I hope you enjoy the P-64, I sure do. I still have the original springs in mine. Got Zee grips because I wanted the thumb rest. Not sure if he's making them anymore, kind of a home-brew set-up. By far the best accessory for my P-64 has been the Houge Handall (small). I think it was $5. Really grippy and takes the bite out of the recoil.
I was looking at those zee grips and decided they aren't really my style. I like the hogue brand and Their grips are great grippy and soft but the slip on kinda bothers me. I have stippled my glocks and other plastic frames because I don't like the slip on. Is there anything else out there at all? Any custom shops? I haven't been able to source one on my vendor list yet. Maybe a Google search is in my near future.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

srREXed wrote:
snailman153624 wrote:None of them reduce felt recoil. You just need to match the spring strength to the ammo you are using to avoid having the slide slam into the stop.

That is a joke, no? Are you aware of how firearms work sir? Besides ammunition (which is the first modification anyone makes for their weapon) there are many ways to reduce felt recoil on any firearm. For nothing nice to be said, he shouldn't say it. We don't want anyone following wrong information so please disregard this poster's comment. It is WRONG. Thanks. But that's not helpful. Let's stick to the original post. And keep this thread on track. No negativity please. And let's pretend Im actually an Armorer part time and this is for some helpful ideas. I am not reinventing the wheel here, just some common sense stuff.
Ok Mr wise guy, let's see some data that measures"felt recoil" and how it varies with recoil spring rates. Good luck even finding a scientific definition of what felt recoil is. The only one being negative is you. If you know so much about it, why would you be asking in the first place...

It's an auto loader....put a spring in that is not well matched to the ammo and it will either fail to cycle or slam into the stops. This particular pistol is a blowback, not a Browning hi-power derivative,put a weak spring in there and it will likely result in exploding shell casings.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I am using the Marschals wood grips with the longer bottom.

They still give me an abrasion on the web of my hand after 50 rounds or so. Not slide bite.

I had the 22lb recoil spring with I think it is the 17lb hammer spring, IIRC what the seller said he put in it.

I had to switch back to the stock recoil spring because I was getting the mags unseating after the last round and the slide wouldn't hold back. I don't have that problem now. I was using Wolf and Silver Bear ammo

I did not perceive any less felt recoil going back to the stock spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
srREXed

Post by srREXed »

Curly1 wrote:I am using the Marschals wood grips with the longer bottom.

They still give me an abrasion on the web of my hand after 50 rounds or so. Not slide bite.

I had the 22lb recoil spring with I think it is the 17lb hammer spring, IIRC what the seller said he put in it.

I had to switch back to the stock recoil spring because I was getting the mags unseating after the last round and the slide wouldn't hold back. I don't have that problem now. I was using Wolf and Silver Bear ammo

I did not perceive any less felt recoil going back to the stock spring.
Sounds good thanks for the info. Those Marschals seem like something I will try. It looks like there's an option for a couple different sizes too. Ty for that. As for the springs from stock to 22# im going to see what mine does with the next trip over to the shop. Maybe I can use the delrin spacers I made. (Shock buff) I just want to be sure what it is before I try anything in addition to the standard spring swap. Thx for your observations. Helps.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:I had to switch back to the stock recoil spring because I was getting the mags unseating after the last round and the slide wouldn't hold back. I don't have that problem now. I was using Wolf and Silver Bear ammo. I did not perceive any less felt recoil going back to the stock spring.
Do you attribute the mags unseating to the 22# recoil spring or the 17# trigger spring? I know some have reported problems with the 17# trigger spring causing some mags to drop and/or light primer strikes. Don't know if the recoil spring would affect that, ya think? I've got the 17# hammer spring and 18# (stock) new recoil spring in mine and have experienced no problems (yet?).

But I DO have one that has had a problem with the slide locking back and I mean LOCKING back! Took a screwdriver to release it. Slide lock-back lever was riding over the ridge/lip inside the slide it normally contacts to hold the slide back and jamming itself. I lightly filed the lever and trued it up a bit but that didn't fix it.

I just noticed (by comparing 2 P-64s side-by-side that the lever was slightly bent in and I'm assuming that is causing it to jam against that ridge/lip. So I ever so slightly bent it back OUT a bit to see if I can remedy this jam problem. Haven't tried it yet but I was thinking a heavier recoil spring might be my next step to slow the slide down a bit and possibly keep it from hammering the lock lever to the point it jumps and jams that ridge/lip.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

They dropped with the 22lb spring and didn't when I put the stock spring back on.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:They dropped with the 22lb spring and didn't when I put the stock spring back on.
I just ordered the Wolff calibration pack with the 18, 20 & 22# springs. Figured it couldn't hurt to be ahead of the game and/or to have 'em on hand for future use, anyway. Did the 22# recoil spring really make the mag(s) drop? That sounds weird.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I can only assume it did as it went away when I replaced it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Curly1 wrote:I can only assume it did as it went away when I replaced it.
Well, you're not a lot of help! :mrgreen: I read the 17# trigger spring could be problematic but, so far, I've not had any problem. Like I wrote, I trued up the edge of the stop-lever and bent it out just a bit as it looked bent inward compared to another 1975 vintage P-64. I figured the heavier "padding" of a 22# spring might slow the slide from landing so hard and forcing the lever off the edge. Now you've REALLY got me curious as to if this new 22# recoil spring is gonna cause the reputed problem(s) the 17# trigger spring was said to possibly cause. I suppose I can then try the 20# spring in the pack because the only other option is 18# which I have in now. :? Ah, next week is gonna be another experimental day. I'm ready for those to stop....
- Robert

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Try it if the mags don't drop then you are probably OK.

If they do drop try the different springs including the stock spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
srREXed

Post by srREXed »

Glad to see forum rules don't apply here. Thanks for the thread hijack. Close thread. Thanks anyway.