new to forum thinking of getting a p64 as carry weapon.

Info, pictures, advice...
mountainfolk

new to forum thinking of getting a p64 as carry weapon.

Post by mountainfolk »

Hi all I am thinking of getting a p 64 as an edc pistol.I have a few questions maybe some could answer. Where is the best place to buy one I see them on lots of sights running 200-250 some have hand pick options some don't some charge more for extra mag some don't I want to get one that is in really good condition internally and in good working condition the finish condition is not as important. So whose the best dealer? What should I expect to pay and what should I get in the deal? I am no gunsmith and I was wondering if I need to be in order to make surplus p -64 an edc gun for me I mean will I have to repair it regularly to keep it functioning reliably? Or are these guns hardy and reliable with out a lot of smithing? How is the over all reliability of this design? And were these guns all made by the same company or are some better than others ?Thanks a head of time to everyone who answers.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: new to forum thinking of getting a p64 as carry weapon.

Post by robhic »

Number one, welcome to the forum! The P-64 is one cool little pistol. I got mine from http://www.aimsurplus.com/ and they probably still have some. They were in good shape but nothing guaranteed without the $10 pick best of 5, I believe. I bought early so got pretty good ones without any special picking. They sold the guns free shipping and with 2 magazines.

Now, as far as EDC, you NEED TO KNOW the P-64 does NOT have any internal safeties. So with the safety/decocker in the ON/FIRE position, the gun can go off if dropped or otherwise striking the hammer. I just posted a minute ago where I tried to make 2 of my P-64s fire hitting the hammer with a dead-blow hammer while loaded but hammer down. Couldn't do it but IT IS POSSIBLE SO CARRYING A LOADED PISTOL CAN BE DANGEROUS! If you don't mind carrying with safety 'ON' you should be good to go.

Repairs haven't been an issue for me but, again, no guarantees. You should be able to get help and URLs for parts suppliers here if you need it. But who knows? No one can tell you that....
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
mountainfolk

Post by mountainfolk »

I read your post about the lack of a transfer bar safety and also read a thread about an ad due to a shaved hammmer. I do not really like carrying on safety with a da trigger however I do carry my 1911 on safety. Is the safety on a p -64 down for fire up for safety or is it European style backward to American 1911 style? Thanks
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

mountainfolk wrote:Is the safety on a p -64 down for fire up for safety or is it European style backward to American 1911 style? Thanks
'UP' is FIRE (safety off). Down is "SAFE" and Decock.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
spareparts

Post by spareparts »

I've been using mine lately as my CCW. Got a pocket holster and dual mag carrier from barsony holsters. Nothing fancy, just a soft nylon holster. Keeps it upright in my pocket, reduces the print and stays in my pocket when the pistol is drawn. Effective and economical.
frameman

Post by frameman »

I recently ( 2 months ) ago purchased one from Aim Surplus also, now because I live very close to Aim I was able to go there and do the hand pick myself. From this experience I can tell you that all of the choices I was presented not one of them was substandard. They were quite good condition and that actually made it hard to choose.
The employees were super and allowed me to take my time.
Really good source if you ask me.
I also installed some wood grips from Grips4u and they too were a perfect fit and came really fast. Installed Wolffe Hammer spring to improve the DA trigger pull.Pocket holster from Barsony and I am GTG. This website will provide all the cleaning and prep details you will need and You won't have a bad day with it

Good Hunting
>
> "THE
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPIDITY IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS
> LIMITS"...
ALBERT EINSTEIN
zardoz

Post by zardoz »

+1 for AIM. I got the one advertised in VG condition but didn't choose the hand select option. I think I got a new gun, sharp rifling, no holster wear, and no rub marks on the internals. After cleaning and shooting 50 rounds I did get rub marks on the slide. When I read about the dreaded recoil I got the Hogue rubber grip but didn't need it, recoil isn't very bad and will be less when the Wolf springs arrive. It would be uncomfortable to shoot all day but who shoots their carry pistol all day? I don't go through 50 rounds a month on any compact pistol. It's a nice pistol and I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Jim
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, it seems AIM has a batch of really nice ones.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mountainfolk

Post by mountainfolk »

Thanks for the replies how much do you guys thank you have in your guns after all the upgrades? Do you carry with safty on or off?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Safety on for carry with one in the chamber.

Some discussion here on the consequences of not using the decocker/safety.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378&p=42642&hilit= ... ety#p42642
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

robhic wrote:
mountainfolk wrote:Is the safety on a p -64 down for fire up for safety or is it European style backward to American 1911 style? Thanks
'UP' is FIRE (safety off). Down is "SAFE" and Decock.

Which is opposite of the Makarov :(
Todd_Dulin

Post by Todd_Dulin »

Got me a P64 the other day, Gonna give it a trigger job, Cause, Daang, Its like no friggen way one could pull the trigger on da, sights are tiny, But fig if I run a few hundred rounds through it & get the feel for where she hits I be ok.. OR at least put some paint on the sights..Am gonna put a power spring on it too, Wolf springs on their way now.. Looking forward to shooting it just the way she is now..
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Todd. Give us a range report.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Bergerboy

Post by Bergerboy »

I'll chime in too.
Got my P64 from AIM also - couldn't be happier.
Went with the hand-pick, and was out-the-door for ~$250.
Got the upgraded spring package from Wolf immediately (it actually arrived before the pistol did), and that made a big difference is shootability, especially first DA trigger pull.
Got nice black walnut grips from Grips4U, and made it look gorgeous, and also improved the firing comfort, as the beaver tail was slightly larger on these grips, so recoil was improved in the crook of my strong hand.
Also put a dab of yellow paint on the front sight blade, and that made a big difference in acquiring the sight picture, especially shooting indoors. (very easy to do, using a toothpick and a little puddle of sprayed paint to dab from)
Actually - after all the above upgrades, this is my go-to pistol now, especially for concealed carry.
Paired it with a Barsony OWB clip-on holster in nice black leather with a snap-over strap.
I've used the P64 recently to go up through the ranks of Winchester pistol qualification, all the way to Distinguished Expert! It's never let me down!
It's more accurate at 30 feet, than my new-ish Beretta PX4 subcompact in .40 cal.
Also just bought a full-sized Beretta 92 Brigadier in Stainless and 9mm, to use for longer range outdoor shooting league this summer. Has a rubber Hogue grip for that one, which feels like a dream to shoot, so I'm not too anxious to shoot the P64 again, as I think I had gotten used to that mini-Mule kick after the 1000+ rounds put through her in the qualification shoots.

FWIW
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

Bergerboy wrote:Also just bought a full-sized Beretta 92 Brigadier in Stainless and 9mm, to use for longer range outdoor shooting league this summer.
Now you're just being mean and taunting us!!! :mrgreen:
- Robert