What did the original users think?

Info, pictures, advice...
almostpolish

What did the original users think?

Post by almostpolish »

When my license comes, I think I am going to get one.

But the question I keep wondering about the trigger pull issue that is associated with this gun is what did the decades of Polish issued men have to say about it? If it really is the tightest draw of any gun made... and that is what almost every review implies or says outright, how did the men issued one deal with it. Did they like it that way? Did they swap out the spring?
Was there an advantage we don't know about?
Got to be somebody who knows.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: What did the original users think?

Post by robhic »

I went to pick up my last P-64 pistol from the FFL dealer who is also my friend, a gunsmith and teaches concealed carry courses. I figured while I was there I'd bring a Wolffe 17 lb. spring and replace it while I was at his shop. I commented on how horrid that 24# trigger-pull is. He took the (stock) gun and proceeded to pull the trigger fairly rapidly! I accused him of showing off. :mrgreen: The other gunsmith working there couldn't pull it, either, so I didn't feel so badly when I wasn't the only one.

So some folks can do it. Now, my boy is about 300# ex-LEO and I wouldn't want to mess with him! He also changed the spring to the 17# spring using just his hands and me to put the paperclip in only. He is a beast ...
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum, good questions.

I'm thinking it would have been frowned upon for issued weapons to be modified by the rank and file.

Maybe there was some tuning going on at the unit armorer level.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
scoobysnacker

Post by scoobysnacker »

almostpolish wrote:When my license comes, I think I am going to get one.

But the question I keep wondering about the trigger pull issue that is associated with this gun is what did the decades of Polish issued men have to say about it? If it really is the tightest draw of any gun made... and that is what almost every review implies or says outright, how did the men issued one deal with it. Did they like it that way? Did they swap out the spring?
Was there an advantage we don't know about?
Got to be somebody who knows.
I was reading a thread on gunboard's makarov (dotcom) forum, people were discussing the Hungarian pistols, and a former Hungarian police officer popped in. It was a really nice thread, as he was able to give firsthand impressions of having carried his PA-63 as an issued weapon (and he liked it).

I'd love to find something similar for the P64, and hell, all of these guns. It just makes them more interesting.

On the subject of the P64 trigger, I think it's fine for it's intended purpose. We get surplus guns and take them to the range, and play with them. We want a nice light trigger, so we can get 1 inch groups. That wasn't what this gun was made to do.

In the US and many western countries, a duty gun is made fairly safe, so you could draw the gun as an intermediate step as a show of force. Shooting is basically the last choice, or else you get in a lot of trouble.

In Poland and other Communist countries, if the police drew a pistol on you, it wasn't a show of force, it meant the subject was about to get shot if he doesn't obey right now. As such, in close (pistol) range, the P64 was meant to be pointed at someone with the finger on the trigger. It points well, so you don't need to worry about the sights. It won't (shouldn't) fire accidentally, since that DA trigger is heavy, but if you DO mean to fire, a purposeful pull will still be on center mass.

If you do decide to fire (let's say the subject tries to run or attack you), the extremely light SA pull allows for whatever you need:
1) if you are charged, the SA will let you very rapidly empty your magazine. At arm's length you will be on target.
2) if they attempt to escape, the SA will then let you shoot precisely at 10-15 yds, with minimal effort to fire; so you then can concentrate on aiming.

edit to add: in all above cases, the pistol is meant to be shot in DA first. For those that say that DA is stiff, you have to keep in mind that in that society, a DA trigger pull was used when a western cop would say "stop".
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes I followed that thread also.

Here's a link to it for your viewing pleasure.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... in-Hungary
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
almostpolish

Post by almostpolish »

Simply put, is it possible the pistol was designed for manlier men?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

The da is so stiff on some that it would shear the trigger pin before the hammer would move.